well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    What's in the CSA box?

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's in the CSA box?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
This week's haul:

Cabbages, kale, yellow summer squash, patty pan squash, zucchini, carrots, arugula, eggplant. We asked for lots of cabbages because we LOVE cabbages. Yummy

Will head for the farmers market tomorrow to buy tahini so I can make this carrot recipe.

Tons of tomatoes and peppers in my own garden. Some cukes but they aren't going gangbusters.

And I harvested my first potatoes. The plants were dying back so I figured there might be something down in the dirt. I have potatoes from tennis ball size down to marbles. This is the Red Gold variety, a red-skinned potato with yellow flesh. I have maybe four pounds that came out of the first bucket I planted.

They're currently drying out in the basement and will find their way into a meal or two this weekend. Can't wait!

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
What variety of eggplant is that? It looks different than any I've ever seen.

We had egg plant in our CSA share last week and had a lamb dish using it. Tonight we're having veal balls with the cabbage we got in this week's share. We used the fennel bulb that was in last week's share along with onion, garlic, chopped collard greens, and diced tomatoes to accompany cod fish. We've been getting green beans and sweet corn nearly every week lately.

Your carrots look very appetizing. I can't wait to hear how they work out with the yogurt and tahini.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7381 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
You intentionally planted and cared for kale??? Smiler

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I take it someone isn't a fan of kale? Big Grin

Actually, we chipped in to the farm and Farmer John grew the kale. It's not a vegetable I was familiar with until we joined the CSA three years ago. It keeps really well and I love it in soup. Not so much cooked in a skillet in the southern style.

A wtg favorite:

Soup Roberto

I also make a soup with a couple of carrots, an onion, a clove or two of garlic, Italian sausage (recipe doesn't call for it but it's a nice addition), chopped kale or other leafy green, and a can of either cannelini beans or garbanzos in four to six cups of chicken broth. The recipe is around here somewhere but I can' t find it right now....

edit: Found it!

https://www.allrecipes.com/rec...kpea-soup-with-kale/

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by big al:
What variety of eggplant is that? It looks different than any I've ever seen.

I don't know eggplant varieties either. Maybe someone here can identify it. Or I can email the farm and ask.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
We don‘t have a local CSA but do get a veggie delivery box from a local farm. They bring in stuff from other local farms and deliver it, but we get to check out what is in our planned box and customize it to our needs. While I love the idea of CSA, in theory, I like that we can tailor it to our needs. Especially since it‘s just two of us, it‘s often a trick to go through everything we do get let along having to eat three cabbages! Big Grin

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4083 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
We don’t do CSA but with five big farm stands within 5 miles and kids hawking vegetables at the ends of driveways all over town there doesn’t seem to be much point. Good stuff - all of it.

But the corn! Yikes! We had farm stands in CA but the corn was nothing like we get here. I’ve never tasted anything like it. Spectacular!

We’ve introduced the toddlers to elote and they’re hooked! ThumbsUp

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
quote:
But the corn! Yikes! We had farm stands in CA but the corn was nothing like we get here. I’ve never tasted anything like it. Spectacular!

I really look forward to the start of sweet corn season. Around here, it begins in early July and we start looking for it at our favorite farm market about then and eat it as long as it remains available. The corn imported from out of the area is a pale imitation of the local corn.

I looked up eggplant varieties on the internet and now I'm thinking that eggplant in WTG's CSA is a Japanese eggplant with an exceptionally large curve in it.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7381 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Looks like a large Asian Eggplant.

They are popular here in our East Asian community. They are meatier and you don't have to sweat them before you cook them.

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post