well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Chas -- Yet Another Nope

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chas -- Yet Another Nope
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Ah, no. I've never understood that kind of extreme skiing. Fall and you die because it's so steep that recovery is impossible. I have been skiing for over forty years so I do understand a) the lure of the edge (understand it enough not to go there) and b) the physics of control on skis, i.e. how recovery becomes dicey due to Mr. Momentum.

I prefer my extremes to be safer! Yeah, that sounds funny, but diving 100 feet underwater is quite extreme if you think about it. Yet it's actually very safe if you have the right equipment and follow all the basic rules. The difference between life and death isn't a split second of bad luck.

Posts: 12496 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Not just no but H*** NO.
Have done some things on skis that were stupid, but those guys are missing a brick or two.
Multiple surgeries and accumulated years have slowed this man down.

--------------------------------
Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25675 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Some people will do anything for attention.

--------------------------------
fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21302 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I'm not so sure it's attention-seeking. People have been thrill-seeking since long before social media could make them a viral sensation. At the margin it might induce a few, but the technical skills needed to pull off extreme stunts is a huge barrier to success. And those with those skills likely have traits that predispose them to be thrill-seeking.

Posts: 12496 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post