well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    People are still taking cruises?

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

People are still taking cruises?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Carnival Corp.’s Holland America Line said its Zaandam cruise ship has 40 guests and 47 crew with flu-like symptoms.

The company said Tuesday in an email that it deployed another ship carrying Covid-19 tests and other supplies to rendezvous with the vessel.

The two ships are set to meet off the coast of Panama on Thursday. Holland America plans to sail the Zaandam to Fort Lauderdale, Florida, arriving March 30. “However plans are still being finalized,” the cruise line said.

The company has told all 1,243 guests to stay in their staterooms. The ship has a crew of 586.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news...as-87-flu-like-cases

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37871 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
I will never understand the desire to be a guest on a floating hotel.

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markj:
I will never understand the desire to be a guest on a floating hotel petri dish .

The pathogen before COVID-19 was norovirus. I can't imagine that's fun.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37871 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Wtf.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20446 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Roll Eyes

Posts: 24710 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Four elderly passengers on board Holland America's MS Zaandam have died on the cruise ship that is stuck in limbo during the coronavirus pandemic.

The ship is currently carrying 138 people who have complained of flu-like symptoms, which are similar to coronavirus symptoms. Two people have tested positive for coronavirus.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with their families and we are doing everything we can to support them during this difficult time," Holland America Line said of the four who had died of undisclosed causes in a statement shared by spokesperson Erik Elvejord.

Elvejord added that Holland America Line couldn't share whether those passengers had reported coronavirus symptoms due to privacy regulations.

Those on the ship who are sick include 53 passengers and 85 crew members. There are 1,243 passengers and 586 crew members on the ship, including 305 Americans.

More on their situation and efforts to get passengers off of the ship. What a disaster.

https://www.usatoday.com/story...se-limbo/2927031001/

Bazootiehead-in-training

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markj:
I will never understand the desire to be a guest on a floating hotel.

My parents and I took a little three-day cruise once, between Miami and Nassau. That was fun. I was twelve. They had slot machines on board that we could use once the ship passed the three mile limit. I spent lots of quality time in the dime and quarter slots putting my "clad" coins in and saving all the silver ones that popped out. This was 1968. Big Grin

Haven't been on a cruise since. Have no desire to be on a floating petri dish pretending to be a city. When in the Caribbean, I see those things come and go and wonder why anyone would choose that as their vacation rather than staying on the island, sampling local culture, and spending quality time in (and under) the water and hiking in the back country.

Posts: 12529 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Apparently these folks were already on the boat as of March 13th. Maybe questionable judgment, but not suicidal.

On the other hand, I am horrified that there are no protocols in place to assist these thousands of people, who are apparently viewed as collateral damage by many countries, if not most.

I have no desire to go on a large cruise, but I don't think those that did deserve a death sentence.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
We love cruises. A great way to see a lot of places without packing up and checking in and out all the time.

I was going to say this might be a longer cruise already at sea.

I wish them well.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13549 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Beyond the current problem, cruise ships deposit thousands of gallons of waste debris daily IN OUR OCEANS.

They should be banned.

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Good point about the timeline, Nina. It just seems like the virus has been with us forever. I looked up when the cases in my town were. I would have sworn they were back in early February but they were announced March 2nd.

An eternity. Or so it seems.

Bazootiehead-in-training