well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Ed Smart, Elizabeth's father, comes out as gay

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ed Smart, Elizabeth's father, comes out as gay
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Ed Smart, the father of kidnapping survivor Elizabeth Smart, has come out as gay. Smart made the announcement in a letter on Facebook addressed to his friends and family members and then confirmed it to local media and CNN.

Smart expressed difficulty in "acknowledging a part" of himself which he has struggled to face for many years and "never wanted to accept." The 64-year-old father acknowledges how coming out has brought its "own set of challenges" but wrote that it's a "huge relief."

"I wish to share the news that I have recently acknowledged to myself and my family that I am gay," wrote Smart. He continued by addressing the struggles of witnessing in "silence for years as many LGBTQ individuals both in and out of the Church have been victims of ridicule, shunning, rejection and outright humiliation."

He wrote that his relationship with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, which only earlier this year said gay marriage is no longer a sin that would result in being banished from the church, has changed.

"As an openly gay man, the Church is not a place where I find solace any longer," he wrote. "It is not my responsibility to tell the Church, its members or its leadership what to believe about the rightness or wrongness of being LGBTQ. I can only believe what I feel is right, but it is my responsibility to continue to grow, progress and mature as a child of loving Heavenly Parents, and to do that in a way that is spiritually healthy for me."

"Acknowledging I am a gay man, is freeing but it also hurts many of those whom I love very much," he wrote. Smart recognizes the "excruciating pain" coming out has caused his longtime wife, Lois Smart, with whom he has five children. He filed for divorce on July 5, online Utah court records show, according to The Associated Press.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/e...e-is-gay-2019-08-17/

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37873 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Not sure how to react. Good for him for feeling he could do this. But tragic for his wife, I’m assuming.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20446 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jodi:
Not sure how to react. Good for him for feeling he could do this. But tragic for his wife, I’m assuming.

Also tragic that it took him to age 65 to be able to do this.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18430 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Yes.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Churches do that to people. Parents and society do that to people.
I suspect that homosexuals raised in churches that are married to people of the opposite sex are more common in some churches than others.
A friend came out to me after I ran into him with a gay man told me he had to be married to a female because he was raised as a Seventh Day Adventist. ( maybe a Jehovah's Witness it has been a while.)
He died from a heart attack a few years ago while married to wife #7.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
I suspect that homosexuals raised in churches that are married to people of the opposite sex are more common in some churches than others.
A friend came out to me after I ran into him with a gay man told me he had to be married to a female because he was raised as a Seventh Day Adventist. ( maybe a Jehovah's Witness it has been a while.)

I don’t find myself attracted to men, but I would’ve come out as gay if it helped me avoid being marrying to seven women...

Posts: 10334 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug:
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:

I don’t find myself attracted to men, but I would’ve come out as gay if it helped me avoid being marrying to seven women...

ROTFLMAO

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
elizabeth's story is a hoax.

as for her father, the first one here who doesn't beliebe in civil divotce, raise your hand.

Posts: 24710 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post