well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    That cruise ship with 80% asymptomatic..

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

That cruise ship with 80% asymptomatic..
 Login/Join

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted
Trying to read between the lines on Covid.

I'm encouraged by the story of the hair salon where the two employees were infected, yet none of the clients got sick. (Short-term exposure with everyone masked)

Now making the rounds are people trying to make sense of that cruise ship infection.
https://www.sciencefocus.com/n...se-ship-study-finds/

The response to the first fever was to pass out surgical masks to everyone right away. Lots of people got infected, but most were asymptomatic. (Long-term exposure with masks)

So the takeaway that is being suggested is that the viral dose was lowered by the masks and that somehow this leads to a less severe infection, or an asymptomatic infection...

Another reason to be diligent with mask-wearing? There is so much guesswork involved...

--------------------------------
Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7554 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Hmm... The cruise ship passengers were sent to their rooms after the infected passenger was discovered, so how much exposure did they really have?

I wish we had more details about those three teachers in Arizona who all got covid (and one of them died) after being in the same room for several weeks, teaching online, so presumably talking a lot in that room, but wearing masks.

I will definitely be diligent about mask-wearing, but I'd like to know what the limitations are, and how protected I will be (or not be) when I'm teaching in the classroom with masks on....

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18439 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I'm deeply skeptical, until I hear reputable sources saying so, that the amount of viral load you encounter is somehow related to the severity of your illness.

As far as I know, it's binary. You either get infected, or you don't. The amount of viral load you encounter (amount, time exposed, etc.) may affect the probabilities of whether you contract the illness, but, once you contract the illness, it isn't more or less severe if you've only been exposed to a small amount of virus.

As far as I understand it, the severity of the illness for each individual is a random carp shoot.

As one doctor I read said last night, it's a saying among medical professionals, if you've seen one case of an illness, you've seen one case of an illness. Every case is different.

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
the amount of viral load you encounter is somehow related to the severity of your illness

Actually, that doesn't make sense though, if it did, live vaccines wouldn't work, right??

In any case, I am almost positive I heard exactly this (that lesser viral load can sometimes result in less severity or even no illness). I may be remember wrong though...

Hay Google...

Posts: 18439 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Quirt, I'm just googling around and it seems like there may not be a hast-fast answer...

Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
quote:
The response to the first fever was to pass out surgical masks to everyone right away. Lots of people got infected, but most were asymptomatic. (Long-term exposure with masks)

The horse was already out of the barn if someone had a fever. Chances are good they were shedding virus for several days before the fever came on.

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
I guess a lot of this is wishful thinking for me that I may have more control of how/when/if the pandemic gets to me...

This high number of asymptomatic infections just made me wonder if our reaction isn't binary. Not enough reliable data out there!

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7554 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I guess a lot of this is wishful thinking for me that I may have more control of how/when/if the pandemic gets to me

Oh me too, definitely!!

Re your other comment, I am sure that reactions to the virus are no binary. But we just don't know enough about all the factors...