well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    NYC Marathon

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NYC Marathon
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
Kim will be running in the NYC marathon in November. Selection is by lottery and she got a spot! We’ll be going to support her and have already booked an AirBnb in Jersey City.

We spent a week in Manhattan some years back so we’re vaguely familiar with subways and Town Cars and such. Not sure Uber has a foothold there - anyone know the status?

It’s sure to be crowded. Any suggestions?

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34852 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Yeah Uber is everywhere. There’s also a PATH train from Jersey city into manhattan that connects to the subway.

I definitely want to meet for coffee or a beer while you’re here.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Don't count on Uber the day of the marathon. I've been in NYC on marathon day, the city is a zoo and many major thoroughfares are blocked off.

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
What Quirt said. You should be able to Uber around NYC except for the day of the marathon. I'd try to take a train/subway that will get you within walking distance of wherever you want to be on the route. Start and (particularly) end points on the route will be insane.

Subways and trains (if you're considering NJ, for example) should be fine although crowded around the marathon routes - it's just ground level transport that will be a mess.

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
It's been a while since I ran that marathon - but they had buses whose sole purpose was to get one to the starting line. I suspect there is information on the NYC Marathon site on that subject. One can't have 50,000 people using uber and cabs to get to the start.

Posts: 9597 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Just get yourselves to Manhattan and then walk. Or take one of the MTA buses to as close as you can get. Wear comfortable shoes. You'll probably be walking a lot.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21305 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
How cool! I have no helpful info, but congrats to Kim on getting to run!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18330 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Congrats to Kim on running! I can’t offer ideas on transit on Marathon day only because I haven’t been in Manhattan on Marathon day.

Like Jon, I would love to meet up and visit in person!

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13780 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Let’s see if we can make that happen!

Posts: 34852 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Be like Rosie Ruiz and use the subway to get around the course in record time.

Yea, that Rosie

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Made it to NYC without incident. Staying in a nicely remodeled condo in Jersey City and so far Uber has been great for getting around. So much better than hunting down Taxis!

I haven’t been to NYC in 20 years and from what I see it looks a lot better now. Lots of new buildings and lots of building renovation going on. Much cleaner than I remember.

Race check in was in a giant convention center with some 100,000 of the fittest looking people I’ve ever seen! Very well organized - could have been chaos but everything ran very smoothly.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Kim finished the race in under 6 hours! 6 miles farther than she’s ever run before.

Yahoo!

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to Kim!!

that's fantastic!!

Glad you've been enjoying NYC! Smiler

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18330 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
Awesome!

Posts: 13630 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
That's great! Congrats to Kim, and glad you're enjoying NYC.

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post