well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Washer/Dryer shopping -- Any advice?

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Washer/Dryer shopping -- Any advice?
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted
I think we are going to take advantage of the Memorial Day sales and buy a W/D set. We're going to get a top loader HE model, and it seems like the LG options are highly regarded by Wirecutter and Consumer Reports.

Does anyone have any advice or things we should take into consideration? Anything to steer clear of?

Also, it looks like Home Depot, Lowes and Best Buy have just about the same prices, and I haven't found a local business that seems reasonable, so I think I'll go with one of these stores. Any other comments, things to consider?

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18499 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
What's a HE top loader? What makes it high efficiency (I'm assuming HE means high efficiency).

Posts: 24720 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I'd avoid pressure-sensitive membrane switches. They are the first thing to fail and remarkably expensive to replace. Dials and switches that "click" last longer.

I also recommend going for the very simplest machines you can find. All of those extra features are more to break and most people never use them.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34965 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Daniel, an HE top loader does not have the agitator pole in the middle of the wash basin. I believe it’s high efficiency because of the water usage.

Steve, those are excellent tips, thanks! I don’t know if the non-agitator pole styles will be very basic, but we’re about to find out!!

Posts: 18499 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't put a lot of stock in the HE claims unless water is very expensive in your area. Water savings will never pay for the cost difference or the repair costs.

Those HE systems can have a lot of problems too. Be sure to Google the system you are considering before you buy. Whirlpool "Calypso", for example. I'm surprised they still make them.

If you want to buy the last washer you will need to buy for the rest of your life, buy a top loading Speed Queen. The one I have in the apartments just hit 20,000 loads and has had one $80 repair - a belt. Not many features and not inexpensive, but your money goes toward quality rather than gimmicks.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34965 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I saw a review of Speed Queen, they definitely get great reviews. But Mr. SK really wants one without the agitator, and unless I missed it, they don’t make those.

Re HE, again, the goal is the lack of agitator pole rather than water.

Anyway, we’re headed to Home Depot now, I’ll post an update! suave

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
This sounds stupid, but so many of the tubs in the newer top loaders are HUGE. Make sure you can reach to the bottom of the tub. This was even an issue for me (and I'm 5-8). My short daughter nixed several brands just because she couldn't reach the bottom of the tub, so she couldn't pull out things like socks that get plastered to the sides.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Nina, oohhh!! Thanks, we’ll check that! Neither Mr. SK nor I are very tall, so that’s super relevant!

We also still haven’t made it to HD yet! Big Grin

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
Daniel, an HE top loader does not have the agitator pole in the middle of the wash basin. I believe it’s high efficiency because of the water usage.

The lack of an agitator also makes clothes last longer. The agitator supposedly is harder on clothes than just tumbling.

And yes yes yes, buy it at Home Depot, and get an extended warranty. We got ours there, and, as you might expect, the electronics did go bad. I called Home Depot, the repair guy came out, the fix was expensive, and the cost to us was zero. He was from a big appliance shop. On his way out the door, he mentioned that Home Depot has the best warranties, they never give him trouble about ordering replacement parts.

Posts: 45742 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
I find the best advice comes from people who repair appliances. They (like Steve) know what breaks and what lasts.

I would get a very basic dryer and skip the fancy features. No one could tell me the reason to have a steam clean feature on a washer.

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Ok we ended up getting an LG set. I didn’t like the last basic models, but we also didn’t get one of the super expensive ones, so not that many bells or whistles. And we did HD with their extended warranty.

We got 24 months of no interest, so we also got a lawn mower, blower, and string trimmer.

It’s like we’re really home owners now!
suave

Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
That's funny -

You post about getting a washer dryer and 'I' get an ad on FB homepage about W/D!

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
LL, ROTFLMAO