well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Largest College Admissions Cheating Scandal Ever
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 17

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Largest College Admissions Cheating Scandal Ever
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
quote:
None of the students were charged because prosecutors said their parents were the scheme’s principal actors.

This doesn’t strike me as persuasive.

If the young people materially participated, they are responsible. If they knew about it and went along, they are responsible. The schools have the right (and obligation, I think) to act.

Yes, I agree. I find it hard to believe they didn't know (even if they didn't participate actively). And, they didn't have to attend a school if they thought their parents bought their way in.

Posts: 45718 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jodi:
I’m with Cindy.

And I'm with both of you.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
Whatever happened to equal pay for equal work?

hysteric

What's the chance of any of these kids being expelled?

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34794 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Gives new meaning to "Affirmative Action", no?

Posts: 34794 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
What's the chance of any of these kids being expelled?

High, I think. That kind of fraud gives the school license to act, and the politics of inaction are likely really bad.

Here's an individual example of expulsion and degree rescinded:

Expulsion from Cornell over Fraud

Harvard even got this young varmint indicted ...

Indicted for Fraud on Harvard Application

Yale will bust your butt too ...

Yale Student Indicted for "stealing" aid via fraudulent credentials

Posts: 12474 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Here is an example of a state university's list of consequences for fraud, including rescinding of degrees earned.

Thomas Edison policy

Queens University Policy

Posts: 12474 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
This is an actual Felicity Huffman tweet from 2016:

quote:
What are your best “hacks” for the back-to-school season?

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Right now, around the country, there are dozens of readers who are absolutely appalled that they didn’t think of this. It’s brilliant! Who pays attention to the crew team roster besides the admissions department, anyway?

Our nation’s favorite competitive sport is not football, basketball or baseball. It is parenting.

Some of the competition is legal. Many of the moves are totally understandable. Almost everybody who has kids and a little money has tried to give their children an edge. But there are edges like putting them in a travel sports program or getting a private tutor, and then there is the case of actress Felicity Huffman, who allegedly paid for somebody to fix her daughter’s SAT score. Fellow actress Lori Loughlin and her husband, Mossimo Giannulli, are accused of paying $500,000 to USC in exchange for having their two daughters designated as recruits to the college's crew team—even though they did not participate in crew.

If you’re surprised, you haven’t seen a mom use intimidation to get her daughter more playing time on a sixth-grade team, or a dad go from helping his son do his homework to doing it for him. The slope is as slippery as you want it to be. And if your kid is nearing the end of high school and you’re sure she’s a good kid, a better student than the scores indicate, and she would really thrive in the right environment if somebody just gives her a chance … well, one man’s racketeering indictment is another man’s guide to raising a happy child.

The coaches are accused of taking graft to get underserving students in, and legal forms of this practice are common all over the country. Put your name on a building, endow a chair, and watch what happens.

You can read the indictment and wonder how these coaches thought they could get away with this. Presumably, when an admissions department admits an unqualified student because a coach said the student was a recruit, that admissions department would then, you know, check to see if the unqualified student actually played the sport. Evidently these coaches assumed the admissions department was not really paying attention. Perhaps they figured that the admissions department was so accustomed to doing favors for the wealthy, for bending its process for the athletic department, and for adjusting its standards when convenient, that nobody would notice.

https://www.si.com/more-sports...uffman-lori-loughlin

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
Felicity Huffman

The papers are treating this as a celebrity scandal. How much traction do think this story would get it there were no celebrities involved?

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I want to add this: I too am guilty of helping my kids improve their chances for college admission. U.S. Attorney's office in Boston, I'm here. Come get me.

Yes, it's true. I hired tutors to help them improve their SAT scores and to help them do well on the AP exams. I gave them comments on their college admissions essays. I drove them for multiple campus visits and interviews to demonstrate interest. I'm guilty, I tell you!

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
quote:
Felicity Huffman

The papers are treating this as a celebrity scandal. How much traction do think this story would get it there were no celebrities involved?

Quite a bit. It's a classic "rich people breaking the rules and paying bribes" scandal. The public loves those.

Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Oh, a lot.

'Cause a whole lot of people (like me) would love for their kids to get into Stanford and will be cheesed to find out the rich are straight-up cheating.

It's bad enough that they have legacy and can use their connections so openly to get their kids an interview and a second or third look.

But resorting to straight-up fraud? That was going to turn heads no matter who got caught.

It is high time elite colleges started acting like the custodians of valuable assets that they are.

Do elite colleges have an "inspector general" whose job it is to check out every representation on every application? It shouldn't be that hard to catch people who are lying like in this scandal or in the links posted above. It's almost like running a bank but never balancing the cash drawer.

But you have to look . . .

Posts: 19753 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
And while I'm rolling . . .

What's *wrong* with people? Do you really think you can leave a money trail like this and not get caught? That no one will rat you out?

And you're willing to drag your child down with you?

Remember the sprinter Marion Jones, who lost everything when she turned out to be doping? She never once tested positive. What brought her down was that her name appeared as a client of the doping company. When they went down, she went down.

It's not your own stupidity that creates the risk. But when you do something illegal like these parents, you are trusting everyone connected with the criminal enterprise, and everyone they trust.

You sure you wanna do that?

Posts: 19753 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
quote:
Felicity Huffman

Quite a bit. It's a classic "rich people breaking the rules and paying bribes" scandal. The public loves those.

quote:
The coaches are accused of taking graft to get undeserving students in, and legal forms of this practice are common all over the country. Put your name on a building, endow a chair, and watch what happens.

This.

I think a lot of people figure "pay for play" is SOP at elite schools and the story is no big deal. It's the celebrities who make it interesting. These parents didn't pay enough to buy a building perhaps, and maybe they paid the wrong people, but none of this sounds particularly surprising.

The coverup, then. It's always the coverup.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Actually, it's the personal interest. The coaches pocketed the money. A private university is allowed to admit whomever it likes (subject to things like equal opportunity laws). In effect, the coaches were stealing money from the university (and perhaps undercutting the university's usual price).