well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Largest College Admissions Cheating Scandal Ever
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 17

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Largest College Admissions Cheating Scandal Ever
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
THat's not the largest by any means, it's just the largest in the US.

The largest would be the systematic (as in organized) cheating in China and Korea on the SATs.

College Board has had to invalidate entire exams in those countries before.

But it's a fascinating story all the same.

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
OK, I read the indictment.

I certainly hope these colleges will go after the children themselves and expel them or revoke their degrees.

Was it just the parents? Nope. In some cases, the kid posed for a picture showing them doing the athletic activity they were supposedly proficient at. The kids were *absolutely* in on it. There is no way you can be admitted on an athletic scholarship and not know it -- they make you sign an agreement that you'll maintain your NCAA eligibility!

And I hope every one of these colleges will go back and examine the application of every kid who was admitted on an athletic scholarship but who did not ultimately play the sport at the college. I think it highly unlikely that any spoiled, rich, cheating brat would have the fortitude to attend crew practice to cover up the wrongdoing.

The heads that should roll on this one should be ages 18-70.

Oh, it just makes me so mad! These families have *every* advantage in the world, yet they are also willing to pay $1 million so their precious spawn can go to Yale also? How greedy can you be?

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Oh, ouch.

In the affidavit of the special agent, she describes each of the colleges (e.g. Yale, Stanford, Georgetown) involved is as "highly selective."

She describes the University of San Diego as "selective."

Ouch.

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
WaPo story has more details

Interesting that it's mostly in the minor sports, the ones whose coaches likely make peanuts (even at Yale). These coaches just couldn't pass up the goodies being sprinkled around by that William Singer recruiter-dude. The schools don't seem to have been involved. It's the coaches on the take.

Agree that the kids for the most part aren't innocent bystanders. I would think that revoking admission would be appropriate.

Posts: 12530 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
From the U.S. Attorney:

quote:
“There can be no separate college admission system for the wealthy, and I’ll add there will not be a separate criminal justice system, either.”

Good.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
None of the students were charged because prosecutors said their parents were the scheme’s principal actors.

This doesn’t strike me as persuasive.

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
quote:
None of the students were charged because prosecutors said their parents were the scheme’s principal actors.

This doesn’t strike me as persuasive.

If the young people materially participated, they are responsible. If they knew about it and went along, they are responsible. The schools have the right (and obligation, I think) to act.

Posts: 12530 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
These families have *every* advantage in the world, yet they are also willing to pay $1 million so their precious spawn can go to Yale also? How greedy can you be?

$6 million in one case.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34917 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Seems you could kick the kids out of school whether they knew or not.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
When Mr. Singer explained the scheme last June to Gordon R. Caplan, co-chairman of the global law firm Willkie Farr & Gallagher, Mr. Caplan laughed and said, “And it works?” according to a transcript of a recorded phone conversation between the two men captured in a court-authorized wiretap.

During the phone call, Mr. Singer told Mr. Caplan that nearly 800 other families had used what he called “side doors” to get their children into college. “What we do is we help the wealthiest families in the U.S. get their kids into school,” Mr. Singer said. “They want guarantees, they want this thing done.”

“There is a front door which means you get in on your own,” Mr. Singer told Mr. Caplan. “The back door is through institutional advancement, which is 10 times as much money. And I’ve created this side door in.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/0...heating-scandal.html

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Oh, the kids knew.

If you are admitted based an your prowess at a sport, you have to certify your NCAA eligibility. And one girl submitted her application photo using a rowing machine that a crew team member would use.

As for the ones where someone else took the test, they knew also. Check the kids email for the reminders of their upcoming SAT test, or the application they signed certifying that everything in the appliyis true.

They should rescind the kids' degrees or expel them.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
I’m with Cindy.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20447 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Nate Silver Tweet:

Betting line on which publication will be the first to publish an "in defense of Felicity Huffman" op-ed:

Quillette: 3-2
New York Times: 2-1
Wall Street Journal: 4-1
The Atlantic: 7-1
Politico (i.e.
@jackshafer
): 10-1
Slate: 10-1
Reason: 15-1
Washington Post: 20-1
Vox: 30-1

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
This is just the tip of the iceberg.

Now that the word is out, I imagine DOJ will be inundated with tips from suspicious faculty. From student athletes. From SAT/ACT test administrators.

And best of all, from administrative staff at elite colleges. I don't know whistleblower law very well, but it would seem to me that there might be something in it for you if you could bring down a coach at an elite university.

Fun fact: In the indictment, it looks like the male test administrator who rigged the SAT got $10,000. The female test administrator who rigged the SAT for $5,000.

Whatever happened to equal pay for equal work?