well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Largest College Admissions Cheating Scandal Ever
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 17

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Largest College Admissions Cheating Scandal Ever
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
Seriously, Quirt? An associate athletic director? Next up - a bat boy and the guy who washes jockstraps.

This is news?

I would have thought you understood hierarchy in athletic departments better than that. Associate athletic director is one step below athletic director. Given the fact that the one at USC is a woman ... and given the fact that the athletic director is a former football player ... I'd bet she wields a pretty decent bit of power over women's sports. In fact, it's not out of the realm of possibility that she is the de facto athletic director for women's sports.

But you go on believing what fits your preconceptions, if you like.

I suppose a coach isn't really a coach either, huh?

Posts: 45718 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal....-admissions-scandal/

Vandemoer is a highly successful, well-known and powerful figure in collegiate sailing, and national/international level sailing, and has been for over a decade. Under his direction Stanford sailing is consistently one of the top teams in the nation every year.

Fired.

While collegiate sailing does not enjoy the national spotlight like other sports, it is big and deep and the direct route to the national & olympic teams. Vandemoer was a big, big player in the whole scene.

Posts: 6 | Registered: 07 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
OK, Steve. So, even with your disdain for associate athletic directors, two coaches have been fired. That's your over/under, within the first 24 hours.

The Yale soccer coach can't be fired because he quit last November (and one has to wonder whether it was because of this investigation).

The University of Texas men's tennis coach has been placed on leave.

Massimo Giannulli's bond (Lori Laughlin's husband) was set at $1 million.

Methinks your snarky anti-elitist prediction isn't holding water so far. But hey, we are only 24 hours in, so maybe all the rich people will get off completely. (Although, if it were as easy for the elite to escape punishment as you seem to think, why would they have been charged at all? Shouldn't the investigation have been buried? Makes one wonder.)

Side note, back to the children and why they weren't charged, the New York Times reports this:

quote:
In many of the cases, prosecutors said, the students were not aware that their parents were doctoring their test scores and lying to get them into school. Federal prosecutors did not charge any students or universities with wrongdoing.

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Methinks your snarky anti-elitist prediction isn't holding water so far.

Anti-elitist tut-tutting is very funny sometimes. Every prosecutor is salivating at the prospect of bringing these people down.

Posts: 12474 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Quirt,

The children may not be charged "by the feds," but I would imagine the schools will be kicking them out left and right per the rules and regulations I posted earlier.

Posts: 12474 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
Quirt,

The children may not be charged "by the feds," but I would imagine the schools will be kicking them out left and right per the rules and regulations I posted earlier.

It's like being unknowingly in receipt of stolen property. You may not be prosecuted, but you still have to give the stolen property back. Even if you paid for it.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
quote:
Methinks your snarky anti-elitist prediction isn't holding water so far.

Anti-elitist tut-tutting is very funny sometimes. Every prosecutor is salivating at the prospect of bringing these people down.

Yes. Aside from the outrage some prosecutors will feel over the injustice ... you can really launch your career with prosecuting a case like this.

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Here is a bit of academic hyperventilation about the admissions process ...

A System Ripe for Corruption

Meanwhile, a substantial literature has studied the process that matches students to institutions and that literature has found that the "sorting hat" that matches students to schools has become much more efficient over time. The importance of family background factors like income, parental education, and race, has declined substantially while the importance of hard work (high school performance) has risen.

Here's an example:

Quality Preserving Increase in Four-Year College Attendance

But real evidence should never be allowed to get in the way of well-intentioned and heartfelt rants... Wink

Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Steve, keep in mind that prosecutors want to make a name for themselves, and bringing down big fish is how it's done.

These people won't do hard time, but it is really humiliating for people like this. I mean, why does a Rick kid need to go to Yale? Prestige.

Geez, one perp is the managing director of a big NY law firm. I cannot imagine the embarrassment.

It should be easy to find more of these operations. Look for those known for guaranteed admissions.

Posts: 19753 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Wonder if one day some ultra wealthy parents will go Amazonian and openly solicit bids: "Hey, I have a college aged kid and I have an education focused charity arm ready to dole out one gazzilion dollar ... now which one of you elite universities can give my kid the best package of C.V. and experiences over the next 4 years?"

--------------------------------
www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12675 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
Steve, keep in mind that prosecutors want to make a name for themselves, and bringing down big fish is how it's done.

I swear I heard something like that recently.

quote:
you can really launch your career with prosecuting a case like this.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Axtremus:
Wonder if one day some ultra wealthy parents will go Amazonian and openly solicit bids: "Hey, I have a college aged kid and I have an education focused charity arm ready to dole out one gazzilion dollar ... now which one of you elite universities can give my kid the best package of C.V. and experiences over the next 4 years?"

Do you imagine that doesn't happen already, without the public solicitation of bids?

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
quote:
Originally posted by Axtremus:

Do you imagine that doesn't happen already, without the public solicitation of bids?
Dang, I need to hang out with rich people more!

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12675 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Duke even publishes a price list.

https://giving.duke.edu/ways-t...nt/endowment-giving/

Does it mention improved chances of admission anywhere? It does not.

Do you have any doubt that giving a higher dollar amount toward an endowment improves the chances of admission? I hope not.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Jared Kushner’s dad pledged 2.5million to Harvard just as he was applying.

Lest somebody thinks this is a political hit, it was showcased in a 2007 book because it was one of the most egregious examples of buying admission. Then, of course, nobody knew who he was.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and...d-affirmative-action

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post