well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Largest College Admissions Cheating Scandal Ever
Page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 17

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Largest College Admissions Cheating Scandal Ever
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Nina. Big Grin

Kids (of all ages), check out "the rankings" for all higher education institutions, as these rankings have changed through time. Start with the ones founded in Colonial America and continue to the present. You might find it's like reading Grove's entry for Mozart's reputation from the time of his death until the present. In other words, if you expect "The Ivy League," "The Seven Sisters," and "Everything Else," you will be sorely disappointed and probably more than a little confused. Smiler

Posts: 24642 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Wait. The largest college admissions cheating scandal and I missed it?

This is what's happens when you turn off this thing we call "the news" for 3+ months. Smokin'

Posts: 24642 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
USC seems to have telegraphed that the kids won’t necessarily get punished. Officially it said it’s still investigating but then added ‘some of the kids may have been minors during the application process’, as if that’s salient.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/u...J-rKryItba-wpAH8QdO4

Interesting issue whether "innocent" kids should be punished?

jf

--------------------------------
Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17670 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Maybe the best punishment would be making the various sports teams play the bogus recruits in every game. Cool

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34836 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
Maybe the best punishment would be making the various sports teams play the bogus recruits in every game. Cool

ROTFLMAO

Posts: 12501 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Trever Noah made exactly that point in his Daily Show. Smiler

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12681 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:

ROTFLMAO

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37767 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Here's how the admissions stuff worked with water polo at USC:

quote:
According to the affidavit, Singer would create an “athletic profile” for the student, complete with falsified stats, doctored pictures and even fake awards. Then Vavic or Heinel, accepting money from Singer, would present the profile, along with those of actual water polo recruits, to a USC admissions subcommittee that reviewed incoming athletes.

It appears USC took Vavic at his word. This is not that abnormal in the collegiate water polo world. One former D-I coach says that when he submitted his roster, his superiors just accepted it, apparently without vetting the names at all. Not every school has the time or resources to conduct background checks on small-sport recruits. There is no centralized database for water polo recruiting, no Rivals.com of pool sports. The top players in the country may know one another, but mid-tier players can come from anywhere. Vavic traveled the world trying to unearth new talent, so it was conceivable he would bring in some unknown recruits. According to court documents, Heinel once defended a fake recruit to the admissions office, claiming Vavic had discovered the boy at a tournament in Serbia.

Vavic could be convincing, too. In one case, he emailed a USC athletics administrator that one of these fake recruits “would be the fastest player on our team,” and that he could swim 50 yards in 20 seconds—two seconds quicker than his fastest players. “This kid can fly,” Vavic wrote. It was a total fabrication. USC admitted the boy just two days later.

It’s unclear whether his fake recruits ever saw the pool or where the money paid on their behalf—the going rate appeared to be between $220,000 and $250,000—ended up. Singer allegedly made private school tuition payments for Vavic’s children. But Singer also told a parent, in a wiretapped conversation, that he believed Vavic usually used the money to “subsidize” the salaries of his assistant coaches, who did so much to keep his dynasty going. (None of Vavic’s assistants have been charged.)

It seemed like the perfect crime. If one of those fake recruits happened to leave the team, no one would’ve noticed, because Vavic’s teams, especially the men’s team, had so much attrition. Players would leave all the time, unhappy with their playing time, fed up over Vavic’s coaching style, or simply more interested in focusing on school. “I’d say there were usually five to six guys that [dropped out] every year,” Burton says.

https://www.si.com/more-sports...ter-polo-jovan-vavic

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
t appears USC took Vavic at his word. This is not that abnormal in the collegiate water polo world.

Not abnormal in most worlds. You hire people to make decisions, not so you can set up costly committees to second guess their choices. These were not life and death decisions. They're exactly the sort of things for which delegation is designed.

Posts: 12501 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
quote:
t appears USC took Vavic at his word. This is not that abnormal in the collegiate water polo world.

Not abnormal in most worlds. You hire people to make decisions, not so you can set up costly committees to second guess their choices. These were not life and death decisions. They're exactly the sort of things for which delegation is designed.

Yes, although, with the potential for abuse and self-dealing, I expect more monitoring in the future.

Look at it this way. Admissions offices usually have work study jobs. Add one more to monitor this. I imagine one kid could do this, in several hours a week. Cost? Less than $20K per year, probably less than $10K. Compare to the hundreds of thousands, or millions, of dollars that were being defalcated. If even ONE of those people were willing to pay $250K directly to the school to get their kid in, the work study job would be paid for for decades.

I imagine that some ADs will want that housed in the athletic department, and may have the swing to get their way, but I'd be surprised if there is not much more of that sort of monitoring going on in the future.

I'd also imagine that there will be a new admissions form at some places for athletic recruits, asking them to say that they are in fact the athlete that the coach says they are. And no coach can bark about it, because, if a water polo legend at USC can do it, any coach can do it.

That requires very little effort, and it would give a school quite the basis for expelling a kid who gets in fraudulently.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
What we know about whether the kids knew:

http://nymag.com/intelligencer...ium=s1&utm_source=fb

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Does it matter? They shouldn’t be there.

Throw them out.

Posts: 34836 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
Here's how the admissions stuff worked with water polo at USC:

quote:
According to the affidavit, Singer would create an “athletic profile” for the student, complete with falsified stats, doctored pictures and even fake awards. Then Vavic or Heinel, accepting money from Singer, would present the profile, along with those of actual water polo recruits, to a USC admissions subcommittee that reviewed incoming athletes.

It appears USC took Vavic at his word. This is not that abnormal in the collegiate water polo world. One former D-I coach says that when he submitted his roster, his superiors just accepted it, apparently without vetting the names at all. Not every school has the time or resources to conduct background checks on small-sport recruits. There is no centralized database for water polo recruiting, no Rivals.com of pool sports. The top players in the country may know one another, but mid-tier players can come from anywhere. Vavic traveled the world trying to unearth new talent, so it was conceivable he would bring in some unknown recruits. According to court documents, Heinel once defended a fake recruit to the admissions office, claiming Vavic had discovered the boy at a tournament in Serbia.

Vavic could be convincing, too. In one case, he emailed a USC athletics administrator that one of these fake recruits “would be the fastest player on our team,” and that he could swim 50 yards in 20 seconds—two seconds quicker than his fastest players. “This kid can fly,” Vavic wrote. It was a total fabrication. USC admitted the boy just two days later.

It’s unclear whether his fake recruits ever saw the pool or where the money paid on their behalf—the going rate appeared to be between $220,000 and $250,000—ended up. Singer allegedly made private school tuition payments for Vavic’s children. But Singer also told a parent, in a wiretapped conversation, that he believed Vavic usually used the money to “subsidize” the salaries of his assistant coaches, who did so much to keep his dynasty going. (None of Vavic’s assistants have been charged.)

It seemed like the perfect crime. If one of those fake recruits happened to leave the team, no one would’ve noticed, because Vavic’s teams, especially the men’s team, had so much attrition. Players would leave all the time, unhappy with their playing time, fed up over Vavic’s coaching style, or simply more interested in focusing on school. “I’d say there were usually five to six guys that [dropped out] every year,” Burton says.

https://www.si.com/more-sports...ter-polo-jovan-vavic

Let a couple of ‘em drown when you try to play them and a whole lot of this problem goes away.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does it matter? They shouldn’t be there.

Throw them out.

Yes, it matters. Because the ones that knew were accessories to crimes.

They should all be expelled. The ones who knew should be charged, with their parents.

Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Steve was talking about expulsion, not prosecution.

For expulsion, knowledge of the wrongs is irrelevant, in my opinion.

Posts: 19756 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post