well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Largest College Admissions Cheating Scandal Ever
Page 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 17

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Largest College Admissions Cheating Scandal Ever
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]

It occurred to me that these ladies had to do this because they were C-list celebrities. A-list probably wouldn’t need to.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking that as well! I had never heard of either.

--------------------------------
The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
You know what would be great fun? If college admissions were completely blind.

You submit your essays, your scores, your transcript, class rank, your other soft qualities. College knows nothing about you otherwise.

I'll bet a lot of rich kids would get left out. They would all have these carefully crafted profiles, but they wouldn't have legacy or admission based on connections or donations. Poor babies.

I think we would wind up with some really interesting, deserving people getting admitted, and diversity would take care of itself.

CalTech

Any others? Evil

I'm only asking because CalTech is pretty much in a class by itself in terms of merit-based admissions. I can't think of another example.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I don’t know of any. Keep in mind that, unlike most of you, I haven’t been involved in researching colleges in over 30 years.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Clearly it never crossed these parents' minds, to teach their kids something we used to call "values". Oh, I forgot, they DID teach them values. Bad ones.

And to think, I didn't even edit my kids application essays and now I read it's considered kosher! Only one thing (I know I've said this before). a slight intervention re older son's application.

He didn't get into Harvard early Admission (expected). I had meanwhile realized that due to peculiar college ap bureacracy of the day - worse now - and our ghastly finances, he could ONLY AFFORD TO GO TO HARVARD. (You know even back then, they paid all expenses for kids they really wanted).

Accordingly, I read son's Early Ap, and realized it was sloppy, so I explained the facts of our financial life and said he had to redo it - with a lot more effort. When he was doing that (and his other aps over Winter Break), I looked the new version but didn't write any of it or even edit it. I just saw it was up to his ability and made sure it got in the mail by the deadline.

So this is the way things go now! Not that the old legacy scam hasn't gone on for ages, but this is worse - at least, in this country. One thing we know, now, though, is that wherever these kids end up going to college, if they should want to go into government after they graduate, this little (tralala) peccadillo won't count against them. Not under the present administration, anyhow. If anything, the reverse.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Keep in mind that, unlike most of you, I haven’t been involved in researching colleges in over 30 years.

You'll get there faster than you imagine. Big Grin

Posts: 12530 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
In the least surprising news of the day:

quote:
The University of Southern California, Yale University, the University of California Los Angeles and other colleges were sued by two Stanford University students seeking class status over the admissions-bribery scandal that broke Tuesday with charges against 50 parents, coaches, proctors and others.

Erica Olson and Kalea Woods say they were denied a fair opportunity to gain legitimate admission to elite colleges, and that their Stanford degrees were devalued, by criminal racketeering charges leveled by federal prosecutors.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news...scandal-class-action

The real question: are two Stanford students suggesting they were denied the better opportunity to attend USC???

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Won’t this suffer the same fate as the girl that sued UT over Affirmative Action? Nobody can prove he was the person not admitted due to the scandal.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Wait! Then I was also denied a fair opportunity to gain legitimate admission to Stanford for the last eight years.

Cha-ching!

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I saw a on a crawl at the gym this morning that one of the actresses was out on a $1MM bond. Are they requiring all of the parents to post such bonds or is she a special case?

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
I saw a on a crawl at the gym this morning that one of the actresses was out on a $1MM bond. Are they requiring all of the parents to post such bonds or is she a special case?

I think it’s based on flight risk. If you’re talking about Felicity Huffman, it apparently was said in court that she has $20 million in real estate assets alone. And the prosecutor said, she’s already demonstrated that she’ll use money to break the law.

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
If she has 20m in property, she's not likely to abscond to Caracas for a better life.

I suspect it's just showtime for the prosecutors.

Posts: 12530 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Maybe the judge just went through a disappointing college application season with his kid.

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
S/he only got into the University of San Diego instead of USC ...

Big Grin

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Another example of why Affirmative Action (carefully researching the applicants' backgrounds) has been and still is, needed.

And FWIW students admitted through such "leg-up" strategies need not only the chance provided by admission, but LOTS of help afterwards to cope - how to feel comfortable socially, besides getting appropriate academic help. Likewise, how to maneuver the ropes involved in utilizing the opportunities that exist, without being all that clear to students and their parents who have no experience in how to find them and take advantage.

IMO this ought to apply to all "First Gens", of any race ("race" really should be quoted on account of the lack of science behind the term).

It's hard enough for such acceptees to fit after being thrown in with so many rich kids (including ones admitted without subterfuge), at the same time lots of the FGs (first gens) remain under pressure to contribute to family finances.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
USC seems to have telegraphed that the kids won’t necessarily get punished. Officially it said it’s still investigating but then added ‘some of the kids may have been minors during the application process’, as if that’s salient.