well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Largest College Admissions Cheating Scandal Ever
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 17

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Largest College Admissions Cheating Scandal Ever
 Login/Join

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
What's *wrong* with people? Do you really think you can leave a money trail like this and not get caught? That no one will rat you out?

You think these people have more brainpower than the stone cold average American? Not bloody likely. Coupled with privilege, a lack of talent, motivation, and any sense of empathy, is an incendiary combination.

Posts: 12530 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
On another take...

How do you think D got into college?

This stuff is not new.

--------------------------------
The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LL:
On another take...

How do you think D got into college?

This stuff is not new.

It's totally legal to buy your way in through a contribution to the university. Or a promise to build a new building. Or funding a new chair. (Or just by being a friend of the chairman of the board of trustees.)

It's illegal to bribe your way in by getting a coach to say that they need you to row crew, when you don't even row crew. (And when the coach pockets the contribution.)

That's the difference.

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
https://www.theatlantic.com/ed...lthy-parents/584695/

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20447 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Offline
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
And while I'm rolling . . .

What's *wrong* with people? Do you really think you can leave a money trail like this and not get caught? That no one will rat you out?

In fairness, we should consider how long this scam and scams like it have been going on and how many people have gotten away with it free and clear, before these unlucky few finally got caught due to the right person from the FBI accidentally stumbling across their particular scam.

Posts: 900 | Location: Bay Area of CA | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Officials described Singer as a well-connected college admissions adviser and say he disguised the bribery scheme as a charity, enabling parents to deduct the bribes from their taxes.

Win-win!

Honestly, the greed is overwhelming.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
It’s not greed. They’re not making money on it (except for the guy setting up the scam, and the coaches).

It’s privilege.

I’d bet money they and all their friends are talking about how “ridiculous” and “unfair” it is that the U.S. Attorney is charging them with mail and wire fraud. In fact, I’d bet that some of the conversations include the word “ridiculous”.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
And I’ll bet precious little comes of this. Couple coaches fired, maybe.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34918 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
And I’ll bet precious little comes of this. Couple coaches fired, maybe.

One associate athletic director was fired already.

Edit: make that one associate athletic director and one coach.

https://dailytrojan.com/2019/0...n-of-admission-scam/

So we’ve already reached your skeptical over/under, Steve.

On the first day.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Horace:
quote:
And while I'm rolling . . .

In fairness, we should consider how long this scam and scams like it have been going on and how many people have gotten away with it free and clear, before these unlucky few finally got caught due to the right person from the FBI accidentally stumbling across their particular scam.

+1

And whoever blew the whistle has already lost his job. Best he watch his back, too. He’s playing out of his league.

Posts: 34918 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Seriously, Quirt? An associate athletic director? Next up - a bat boy and the guy who washes jockstraps.

This is news?

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
By the way. Your $500,000 degree?

It probably impresses a lot of people.

But we know how you got it.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Full disclosure. We paid a fixer. You don’t need to know who or how much. I will say it was way less than $6 mil. We paid a fixer to get Greg a scholarship. It worked. He got a full ride to a prestigious school despite rank average grades. I don’t know how he did it and I don’t want to know. It was a huge financial commitment for us. I figured out how the game works and wanted him to play. Upside was that he really did want to play baseball.

As it happened, we didn’t use it. The big leagues trumped the scholarship. The signing bonus blew the scholarship out of the water. OTOH the signing bonus was based partially based on the scholarship so there is that.

This is how the system works and I find this clutching of pearls most amusing. It’s all about money and the education means nothing.

YMMV.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:

What's *wrong* with people? Do you really think you can leave a money trail like this and notconnected with the criminal enterprise, and everyone they trust.

Of course. Money gets you in to this and money will get you out if required.

You’re in really close to this. I’m surprised you’re surprised.