well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Farewell, friend
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Farewell, friend
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
We had to make the difficult decision to let our Maggie go. We were both able to be with her.

She turned 15 last Sunday, quite a remarkable age for a golden retriever.

I've talked about her before as my once in a lifetime dog. She had a deep and abiding spirit and was the perfect companion. I'm going to miss her so, so much.

Maggie on her first day home, the day before Thanksgiving, 15 years ago:

She loved to stick her head between your knees, usually when you were standing up and least expecting it. She caught me one day a few years ago when I was sitting in the screen room:

And these last three were taken just last Sunday on her birthday. I can't believe things went south so quickly, but it happens sometimes. In her case her kidneys gave out.

We've always had two dogs until we lost Lucy two years ago. At that time we decided to let Maggie be the only dog for whatever time she had; she loved being the center of attention for a couple of years.

It was so strange to come home to an empty house for the first time in 40 years.

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37651 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
It was so strange to come home to an empty house for the first time in 40 years.

I'll bet.

A quiet space/time to reflect on the past 15 years.

Posts: 12474 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
I’m so, so sorry.

We put our dog Oliver down on Election Day 2016. I’m still not over it.

Maggie loved you for letting her be part of your family. She was very lucky.

Posts: 19753 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
My condolences.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12675 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Such a tough reality for dog lovers. I've been through that a couple of times. I feel for you.

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7540 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Oh, I'm so sorry! Sending you lots of hugs today!

Comfort

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18288 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I'm very sorry, WTG. Frowner

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34795 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
I am so terribly sorry, I know how heartbreaking this is. 15 years is amazing. She had a wonderful life with you. Comfort

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20398 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Sorry you lost Maggie.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25656 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I'm so sorry, wtg. 15 years is a long time. I have a soft spot for golden retrievers, and their lovely white faces as they age. You gave Maggie a wonderful life. Comfort

Posts: 35360 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I'm so sorry, wtg. I know how much she meant to you.

I had my once-in-a-lifetime dog already. He died 12 years ago. I still miss him.

I still have dogs, and I imagine I'll always have dogs, but the feeling about that one will always be different. I still tell stories about him. So I understand how you feel about Maggie.

Posts: 45718 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Hugs. And a lot more hugs.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30027 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Thank you all so very much. We're a pet friendly group here, and it really helps to share with people who understand how hard it is.

I wanted to share something that my high school friend, whom I reconnected with about a year ago, had to say. She's a dog person, too; mostly she's had Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retrievers. She's adopted several challenging rescues.

quote:
(wtg), I am so sorry. Not much surpasses the heartache of losing a dog. I hope it brings you comfort to know that you gave her an exceptional life, and that she loved you just as much as you loved her.

Each dog, like each friend, brings something different into your life. Seamus was just a happy-go-lucky "never met a stranger" kind of buddy. Loved everyone and everything. Sydney is a typical toller - very sweet and very challenging, not considering her "special" attributes. When I give her a command she looks for other options, which doesn't make training any easier but it does make me laugh. I once had a black cocker with blonde roots - not much upstairs but terminally happy.

I know Maggie was a very special dog. The next one will be, too.

Thanks again for letting me share my wonderful Maggie with y'all.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37651 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
I’m so sorry for your loss. Maggie looks like a very special love. Hugs to you & Mr. wtg.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9785 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I'm so sorry, wtg.

Maggie was a beautiful soul. You can see it in her eyes.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15496 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post