well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Not a good weather weekend
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Not a good weather weekend
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
Barry just went Cat 1, there are more fires in Hawaii, and we're baking here in the Midwest in a pretty fair heat/humidity wave.

I'm not real comfy but the tomatoes, peppers, cukes, and beans are happy campers as long as I keep them watered.

What's up where you are at?

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37880 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
It's been unseasonably mild here so far. Mid 80's most days.

I'm not complaining.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34927 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Been quite lovely in Chicago this weekend. A little warm but really only in contrast to the cold and wet early summer.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13549 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
If you've been near the lake, it probably was pretty nice.

The winds are coming off the lake now as far inland as I am. Just a little while ago I went out and was pleasantly surprised by the greatly lowered temps and humidity.

Earlier in the day, not so much.

edit: I just checked. It was 92 degrees air temp and a 70 degree dewpoint at around 1 pm. Right now it's 76 with a dewpoint of 60.

Thank you, Lake Michigan.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37880 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Yeah, we're downtown. Took the architecture cruise - its quite worthwhile. Saw a sky crane as an added bonus. (Read bigass helicopter that moves stuff around when you can't use a ground mounted crane). Was quite cool to watch.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I thought the architecture cruise was excellent when we were there a few years ago. We also liked goat hill for the history if nothing else. There is also a spectacular hotel that’s worth a look. Can’t recall the name...

And Robie house. Bought the T-shirt for that one

Posts: 34927 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Now that you’ve been there you need to read “Devil on the White City”. Several good stories in one read, all set in Chicago.

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Oh, gosh, I've been to Chicago more times than I can count. Worked here for over a year.

I do have ebook Devil.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Don't know where your travels will take you today, but if you're around Millenium Park, I definitely recommend a stop at the Chicago Athletic Association Hotel at 12 S Michigan. Very gilded age/robber baron decor, it would be a great place to stop on a hot afternoon for a quick drink and some great views of Millenium Park and the lake.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Thanks! Have not been there. It would be well worthwhile, but today we go to see Hamilton, then to The Girl and the Goat for dinner. Yesterday we walked all day. Today cabs!

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
We stayed at the Chicago Athletic Association. It was a nice hotel and had a great gym (which matters to me).

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
66F at 9:45 AM.
High of 75 predicted.
40% chance of showers this afternoon. The monsoon has begun.
Afternoon rain is usually followed by sunshine and nice sailing weather.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Monsoon is very late in AZ this year. In PDX, we had a few hot days about a month ago, then back to cloudy and cool. Now we're looking at a long stretch of sunny skies and highs in the mid-upper 80s, pretty standard. I am not complaining.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
We stayed at the Chicago Athletic Association. It was a nice hotel and had a great gym (which matters to me).

I absolutely loved the lobby area. As MA said, it makes one feel like a robber baron.

I was trying to find pics of when we stopped in there to get out of the cold when you guys were here earlier this year, but I guess I didn't take any. Maybe MA did?

Remember that waitperson who kept stopping to ask us if we wanted a drink? Big Grin

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
The hotel I was thinking of is the Palmer House: