well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Giuiliani's October Surprise

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Giuiliani's October Surprise
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
It was a couple of years ago when Steve Bannon was quoted saying, "The Democrats don't matter. The real opposition is the media. And the way to deal with them is to flood the zone with s--t."

With this in mind, you probably heard this week from your weird relatives who consume conservative media all day, with emails about a New York Post story that was literally unbelievable. The details are a convoluted mess -- they involve Hunter Biden, a Ukrainian gas company, an alleged laptop, some alleged emails, and an unnamed shop owner in Delaware -- which the conservative tabloid learned of by way of Bannon and Rudy Giuliani.

The problem -- one of them, anyway -- is that the underlying premise of the allegations were discredited quite a while ago, which is why most major news organizations had the good sense to steer clear of the New York Post's report.

Making matters worse is the fact that this effort to "flood the zone with s--t" appears to be backfiring. NBC News reported overnight:

Federal investigators are examining whether the emails allegedly describing activities by Joe Biden and his son Hunter and found on a laptop at a Delaware repair shop are linked to a foreign intelligence operation, two people familiar with the matter told NBC News.

What was apparently intended to be Giuliani's "October Surprise" is looking like the product of a Russian intelligence operation directed at the U.S. presidential election.

quote:
The Washington Post also reported overnight that U.S. intelligence agencies "warned the White House last year that President Trump's personal lawyer Rudolph W. Giuliani was the target of an influence operation by Russian intelligence." U.S. officials "raised concerns that Giuliani was being used to feed Russian misinformation to the president."

The article added, "The former officials said Giuliani was not a target of U.S. surveillance while in Ukraine but was dealing with suspected Russian assets who were, leading to the capture of some of his communications."

https://www.msnbc.com/rachel-m...-backfiring-n1243707

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37770 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I'm starting to think that Giuliani isn't too bright.

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37770 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:

Starting?

That ship sailed a long time ago.

Posts: 13630 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I suspect that NO ONE who is persuadable is giving this "story" one GD bit of attention.

Why would "smart" people presume that a tactic that worked when it was new and had shock value (i.e. the opposition was surprised and didn't have a thoughtful riposte) would work just as well four years later?

Posts: 12503 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markj:
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:

Starting?

That ship sailed a long time ago.

I'd say that ship is in the briny deep.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/...o-dig-dirt-on-bidens

And wait! There's more!!! A possible second laptop...

https://www.thedailybeast.com/...nter-biden-kompromat

Bazootiehead-in-training

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
A) I'm not giving this laptop stuff any credibility at this point.

B) Even if the laptop information is real, I doubt any of this will gain traction in the last two weeks amidst the cacaphanous noise the emerges from Trump.

I would say this about laptops ...

A number of years ago W&M organized a breakfast for a small group of faculty with Robert Gates who is our honorary chancellor. This was in the middle of the flap about the US supposedly tapping Merkel's cellphone conversations. I asked him how common this kind of "research" actually is. He replied that they all do it to each other and regaled us with lots of stories. One in particular concerned laptops.

He was speaking to an audience of business people and asked how many had been in Paris recently. Most of the hands shot up. He asked how many had stayed in hotels. All the hands shot up. He then asked how many had taken their laptops with them at all times, never leaving it in the room. No hands shot up. Then he told them that there was a very high probability that French agents entered their rooms when they were out and downloaded the contents of their laptops to be probed for industrial information that might be of benefit to French companies (public and private) in competing with those business peoples' firms.

Obtaining the contents of a laptop isn't very difficult, apparently.

Posts: 12503 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
When Fox News passes on your questionable Trump-friendly scoop, you know something is really off: "Fox News was first approached by Rudy Giuliani to report on a tranche of files alleged to have come from Hunter Biden’s unclaimed laptop left at a Delaware computer repair shop, but that the news division chose not to run the story unless or until the sourcing and veracity of the emails could be properly vetted."

https://gothamist.com/news/ext...ra-spooky-ghost-dogs

Bazootiehead-in-training

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I just wanna say one thing... anyone in I-1's orbit who is trying to make hay with carp about Biden's son...

Seriously?

You're surrounded by an entire family based on grift 'n' graft. Ivanka's trademarks in China. Eric "running" the family bizness. Little Donny doing gawd knows what besides having meetings with Russians who promise dirt on the other candidate. Plus Jared's real estate fraud, Lara's lies, and Gilfoyle (whom Donny was apparently well-acquainted with while he was still married to his previous) and her revolting sexual harassment.

You wanna talk about someone who made money off his family connections and access to an elected official?

Really?

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30029 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I guess I'm not the only one...

The stunning hypocrisy of the Trump family's attacks on Hunter Biden
https://www.vox.com/2020/10/21...corruption-explained

quote:
Donald Jr. and Eric may be two of their father’s key campaign surrogates and regularly appear on Fox News to discuss politics (making a mockery of their pre-inauguration promise to stay out of their father’s administration while running the family business), but Ivanka and her husband Jared Kushner actually work in the White House. Their most recent financial disclosure indicates that politics has been lucrative for them, as they reported at least $36.2 million in income in 2019. And in 2018, Kushner received a massive cash infusion from Qatar.

As Robert Maguire, research director for CREW, told Vox, “one way to think about this is: Imagine if Hunter Biden passed his time during the Obama administration working to sustain and promote a business that not only he profited from, but Joe Biden did also. Then, on top of that, imagine that Joe Biden himself spent day after day in office openly and single-mindedly promoting that same business, in his official capacity, through glowing statements and hundreds of visits to the business, resulting in hundreds of thousands of dollars in taxpayer money being spent there — along with special-interest and foreign money.”

"If all of that were true, it still wouldn’t be as corrupt as what we’ve seen over four years of the Trump administration," Maguire added.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30029 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Did Hunter Biden not sign "consulting" contracts with Ukrainian oil companies worth millions?

Posts: 24645 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post

Posts: 24645 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Roll Eyes

quote:
The complaints from President Donald Trump and his allies have been growing louder as the election approaches: Why isn’t the mainstream media covering the Hunter Biden laptop story?

Trump and his allies say there is evidence of corruption in emails and documents allegedly found on a laptop belonging to Democrat Joe Biden’s son. They say those and other documents show that Hunter Biden used his father’s influence to enrich himself through business deals in Ukraine and China, and that his father not only facilitated that, but may have benefited financially.

But the Wall Street Journal and Fox News — among the only news organizations that have been given access to key documents — found that the emails and other records don’t make that case. Leaving aside the many questions about their provenance, the materials offered no evidence that Joe Biden played any role in his son’s dealings in China, let alone profited from them, both news organizations concluded.

quote:
The lack of major new revelations is perhaps the biggest reason the story has not gotten traction, but not the only one. Among others: Most mainstream news organizations, including NBC News, have not been granted access to the documents. NBC News asked by email, text, phone call and certified mail, and was ultimately denied.

quote:
The first story about the Hunter Biden laptop appeared in the New York Post, a conservative tabloid. One of the bylines was that of a former producer for Fox News pundit Sean Hannity.

The New York Times reported that a Post reporter who did much of the work declined to allow his byline to appear on the story.

One more Roll Eyes

https://www.nbcnews.com/politi...ort-alleged-n1245533

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
One month before a purported leak of files from Hunter Biden's laptop, a fake "intelligence" document about him went viral on the right-wing internet, asserting an elaborate conspiracy theory involving former Vice President Joe Biden's son and business in China.

The document, a 64-page composition that was later disseminated by close associates of President Donald Trump, appears to be the work of a fake "intelligence firm" called Typhoon Investigations, according to researchers and public documents.

The author of the document, a self-identified Swiss security analyst named Martin Aspen, is a fabricated identity, according to analysis by disinformation researchers, who also concluded that Aspen's profile picture was created with an artificial intelligence face generator. The intelligence firm that Aspen lists as his previous employer said that no one by that name had ever worked for the company and that no one by that name lives in Switzerland, according to public records and social media searches.

One of the original posters of the document, a blogger and professor named Christopher Balding, took credit for writing parts of it when asked about it and said Aspen does not exist.

quote:
The Typhoon Investigations document was first posted in September to Intelligence Quarterly, an anonymous blog "dedicated to collecting important daily news," according to its "about" section. Historical domain records show the blog was registered to Albert Marko, a self-described political and economic adviser, who also lists the blog on his Twitter bio. When asked about the provenance of the document, Marko said he received it from Balding.

Balding, previously an associate professor at Fulbright University Vietnam who studied the Chinese economy and financial markets, posted the document on his blog on Oct. 22, seven weeks after it was initially published.

"I had really not wanted to do this but roughly 2 months ago I was handed a report about Biden activities in China the press has simply refused to cover. I want to strongly emphasize I did not write the report but I know who did," Balding said in an email.

Balding later claimed to NBC News that he wrote some of the document.

"I authored small parts of the report and was involved in report preparation and review. As a researcher, and due to the understandable worry about foreign disinformation, it was paramount that the report document activity from acknowledged and public sources," Balding said. "Great care was taken to document, cite, and retain information so that acknowledged facts could be placed in the public domain."

Balding said Aspen is "an entirely fictional individual created solely for the purpose of releasing this report." Balding did not name the document's main author, saying "the primary author of the report, due to personal and professional risks, requires anonymity."

Bazootiehead-in-training