well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Annual Music Party

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Annual Music Party
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted
The annual music party is coming up in about two weeks. HairRaising

I'll be doing two piano/violin pieces with my violin friend, who kindly still agrees to play with me even though I fall apart whenever we're playing anywhere other than in my living room. suave

It should be fun unless I crash and burn like last year. We're playing one slower piece to start with, and then we're actually playing one of the pieces that we played last year. People sometimes play pieces they've played before, so I figured that was a good idea. I butchered it so badly last year, I doubt anyone will even recognize it.

Which reminds me, the other day I ran into another regular of these music parties, he doesn't speak very much English (and I don't speak Spanish) so our conversations are always a little ... restricted, unless his wife is there to translate for us. He's a dynamite guitarist and he and his wife (who plays piano) always do these neat, bluesy pieces together, they're both very good musicians.

Anyway, we were talking about this year's party, and he complimented me, something like "you always play very well" and as I was starting to say "oh no I'm really..." he added "very avant garde." And I was thinking, oh my god, does he think I actually play that way on purpose! ROTFLMAO

Keyboard Jam

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18329 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
Anyway, we were talking about this year's party, and he complimented me, something like "you always play very well" and as I was starting to say "oh no I'm really..." he added "very avant garde." And I was thinking, oh my god, does he think I actually play that way on purpose! ROTFLMAO

Never turn down a compliment.... Cool

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
At some point you’ll have to say ‘That wasn’t Stockhausen, that was Chopin’

Big Grin

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:

Never turn down a compliment.... Cool

+1 Smiler

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10563 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
At some point you’ll have to say ‘That wasn’t Stockhausen, that was Chopin’

Big Grin

ROTFLMAO

Steve, Bernard, quite right!

Seriously, I am really looking forward to it, and I'm sure I don't sound nearly as bad as I imagine I do. And I will enjoy it regardless, but it would be lovely to be able to play a wee bit better than last year....

Posts: 18329 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I suspect most are more concerned with how they play than how you play.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
I suspect most are more concerned with how they play than how you play.

Oh no doubt about that. Somehow that doesn't really help me though. suave

Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
You will do great!

Have fun.

Posts: 13630 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I like to think of you as a modern day salonnière, providing a venue for people to share conversation, ideas, and music. That is so cool.

I'm sure you and your guests will have a wonderful time. It's the getting together that's the best part!

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
your guests

Just for clarity (or something! suave ) I'm not hosting this one. (If I were, I wouldn't be too worried about performance anxiety, I usually do great on my home piano in my living room, even if there are lots of people there)

This is the party held every year at the home of a retired Japanese teacher (she's the woman who was basically responsible for hiring me, and her husband plays classical guitar). It is sometimes amazingly attended and super crowded, and other times when "not many people" attended, there are 30 people there.

But yes, it is a wonderful party! And once we move (fingers crossed) I hope to host more parties like this myself (and some day, again fingers crossed) I hope to be doing it with a grand piano too!

In the meantime, I'm looking forward to this party. 1.5 weeks left to practice!

Keyboard Jam