well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Fat Tuesday treats

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fat Tuesday treats
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
Coming up in a few weeks...February 21...

Around here, pączki (yeast raised doughnuts) rule. There are so many Polish people who live in the Chicago area, especially in my neck of the woods.

You'll see lines of people waiting for the really good Polish bakeries to open on Fat Tuesday morning. My favorites are raspberry, strawberry, or prune. Oh hell, I'll eat pretty much any of them with the exception of rose petal.

I was reading about other traditional Shrove Tuesday treats and came across fasnachts, a doughnut made from potato dough. Seems to be a Pennsylvania thing.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/foods/fasnachts

What say ye, WTF's Pennsylvanians? Are you fasnacht fans?

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37884 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
Pączkis are pretty popular for Fat Tuesday in my part of western PA. There are lots of Poles around here. I've never encountered fasnachts.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7404 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
Pączkis are the treat of choice here, as well. I assume it’s the influence of the large Polish population in the Detroit area.

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4091 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Oh…now I want a New Orleans king cake!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9799 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I've never had a king cake.

I looked it up and it seems that a couple of our local bakeries make them this time of year. Tempting....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37884 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post