Twitter
 Login/Join

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted
Welcome to Hell, Elon!

perhaps the best short analysis of what Musk has gotten himself into with this stupid purchase.

Posts: 12511 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
Welcome to Hell, Elon!

perhaps the best short analysis of what Musk has gotten himself into with this stupid purchase.

Yes yep, that was really good.

Good luck with that, Elon.

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18329 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
a satisfying takedown.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21305 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
Welcome to Hell, Elon!

Not that this guy doesn't have some good points, but why wait 'til now to publish this? It would have been more timely to publish this when Musk said he wanted to buy Twitter out. After Musk signed the MOU, the rest is either Musk buy the thing or Musk is forced by the court to buy the thing. OK, I guess Musk could also just pay the $1 billion break-up fee. But I don't see how this op-ed is helping after the deal has been consummated. Shrug

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12682 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not that this guy doesn't have some good points, but why wait 'til now to publish this?

Your comment motivated me to look at the author's previous articles, but they comprise 106 pages of links
https://www.theverge.com/authors/nilay-patel

So I didn't go beyond the first page.

Which is all to say, he may very well have written earlier articles making similar points, but I don't have the impression that Musk is the sort of person who readily accepts outside advice unless it confirms whatever it is he's wanting to do. Roll Eyes

Posts: 18329 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Several top privacy and security executives resigned from Twitter on Thursday, citing fears over the risks from Elon Musk’s leadership, in a stunning exodus that prompted federal regulators to warn they might step in.

Chief Information Security Officer Lea Kissner tweeted that they had made the “hard decision” to resign, and the company’s chief privacy officer and chief compliance officer also quit, according to screenshots of an employee’s internal Slack message shared with The Washington Post.

One current Twitter employee said several other members of the site’s privacy and security unit also had resigned, while another said those remaining were trying to stop a wave of abuse in the company’s expanded paid service, Twitter Blue.

The departures prompted a rare warning from the Federal Trade Commission, which has emerged as the government’s top Silicon Valley watchdog. It marked the second time in two days that Washington had expressed concern about the chaotic developments at the company, coming less than 24 hours after President Biden said Musk’s relationships with other countries deserved scrutiny.

The agency said that it was “tracking the developments at Twitter with deep concern” and that it was prepared to take action to ensure the company was complying with a settlement known as a consent order, which requires Twitter to comply with certain privacy and security requirements because of allegations of past data misuse. Twitter was first put under a consent order in 2011, and it agreed to a new order earlier this year for allegedly misusing phone numbers and email addresses collected for security for advertising.

https://wapo.st/3hvWm2i

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37793 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
popcorn

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I don’t post to Twitter but I do read a news feed.

I’ve noticed it’s changed over the last week or two. Much more right wing propaganda, less useful info. Lots more ads.

I doubt I’ll stay subscribed much longer. That sort of content has no value to me.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
I’m still there; it’s still amusing for when I need something for a short attention span. I don’t necessarily believe anything I read there. But #knittingtwitter is still interesting for me.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9789 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AdagioM:
I’m still there; it’s still amusing for when I need something for a short attention span. I don’t necessarily believe anything I read there. But #knittingtwitter is still interesting for me.

I use Twitter a lot. It’s much better for news than Facebook. My feed is mostly NYT, WaPo, BBC, and WSJ, and tech sites, plus columnists and Lincoln Project folks.

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
“ …incredible that the exact moment it would be funniest to let Trump back on twitter is also the moment that no one would believe it was really him.”

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
I use Twitter for only one thing: real time election results. I read Nate and Nate, and then I put Twitter back in the closet for two years.

I have never tweeted.

Posts: 19757 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
I twitted a few times to support the local school board’s funding campaigns, but otherwise I just read tweets other people brought up (like in news articles or in WTF/TNCR). I rarely fire up the Twitter app or go look for tweets myself. Shrug

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12682 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I made a Twitter account a long time ago but rarely posted. But maybe two years ago, I started using it to follow academics in my field, and now I post semi-regularly. It's actually be a great resource in that regard, and quite different (i.e. better) than FB for connected with other researchers.

So I'm somewhat concerned about what's happening now. Also I loathe Elon Musk

But the alternatives to twitter, like mastodon? all seem kind of labor intensive, so I'm kind of watching and waiting right now.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Chaos or a plan we haven't figured out yet?

quote:
Hundreds of Twitter Inc employees are estimated to have decided to quit the beleaguered social media company following a Thursday deadline from new owner Elon Musk that staffers sign up for "long hours at high intensity," or leave.

The departures highlight the reluctance of some of Twitter's 3,000 or so employees to remain at a company where Musk earlier fired half of the workforce including top management, and is ruthlessly changing the culture to emphasize long hours and an intense pace.

quote:
The departures include many engineers responsible for fixing bugs and preventing service outages, raising questions about the stability of the platform amid the loss of employees.

quote:
On Thursday evening, the version of the Twitter app used by employees began slowing down, according to one source familiar with the matter, who estimated that the public version of Twitter was at risk of breaking during the night.

"If it does break, there is no one left to fix things in many areas," the person said, who declined to be named for fear of retribution.

Reports of Twitter outages rose sharply from less than 50 to about 350 reports on Thursday evening, according to website Downdetector, which tracks website and app outages.

https://www.reuters.com/techno...-exiting-2022-11-18/

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37793 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post