Twitter
 Login/Join

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
I made a Twitter account a long time ago but rarely posted. But maybe two years ago, I started using it to follow academics in my field, and now I post semi-regularly. It's actually be a great resource in that regard, and quite different (i.e. better) than FB for connected with other researchers.

Yep.

quote:
But the alternatives to twitter, like mastodon? all seem kind of labor intensive, so I'm kind of watching and waiting right now.

Yeah, it's rather a ... mammoth ... investment.

Posts: 12480 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
I don’t post to Twitter but I do read a news feed.

I’ve noticed it’s changed over the last week or two. Much more right wing propaganda, less useful info. Lots more ads.

Same observation, Steve.

--------------------------------
The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Have you seen this?

https://post.news/

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20399 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Could be promising, I need more info though....

I also just set up an account at a Japanese Mastodon server (whatever that means).

mstdn.jp fwiw

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18295 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Unreal.

quote:
Elon Musk sent a flurry of emails to Twitter employees on Friday morning with a plea.

“Anyone who actually writes software, please report to the 10th floor at 2 p.m. today,” he wrote in a two-paragraph message, which was viewed by The New York Times. “Thanks, Elon.”

About 30 minutes later, Mr. Musk sent another email saying he wanted to learn about Twitter’s “tech stack,” a term used to describe a company’s software and related systems. Then in another email, he asked some people to fly to Twitter’s headquarters in San Francisco to meet in person.

quote:
Some internal estimates showed that at least 1,200 full-time employees resigned on Thursday, three people close to the company said. Twitter had 7,500 full-time employees at the end of October, which dropped to about 3,700 after mass layoffs this month.

quote:
One team known as Twitter Command Center, a 20-person organization crucial to preventing outages and technology failures during high-traffic events, had multiple people from around the world resign, two former employees said. The “core services” team, which handles computing architecture, was cut to four people from more than 100. Other teams that deal with how media appears in tweets or how profiles show follower counts were down to zero people.

quote:
“Wednesday offered a clean exit and 80 percent of the remaining were gone,” Peter Clowes, a senior software engineer, tweeted on Thursday about the departures on his team. “3/75 engineers stayed.” He said on Twitter that he quit on Thursday.

quote:
Employees were also having difficulties figuring out who was still on staff, and what areas of infrastructure needed more support to keep things up and running.

One worker who wanted to resign said she had spent two days looking for her manager, whose identity she no longer knew because so many people had quit in the days beforehand. After finally finding her direct supervisor, she tendered her resignation. The next day, her supervisor also quit.

Others were spending hours trying to track down which teams they were on. Some said they were asked to oversee duties they had never handled before.

The changes were occurring in a near total information vacuum internally, employees said. Twitter’s internal communications staff has been laid off or left, and workers said they were looking outward for information from media articles. Mr. Musk has increasingly downplayed the role of traditional media over the past few months, citing Twitter as one of the best platforms for the rise in “citizen journalism,” as he put it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/1...er-workers-quit.html

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37678 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
facepalm

What a dumpster fire.

Posts: 18295 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
https://www.reuters.com/techno...nt-trump-2022-11-19/

Elon asks Twitter users to vote on whether to reinstate Donald Trump's Twitter account.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12675 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
What a ******* disaster. I feel badly for the folks whose lives have been completely upended. I know how stressful that can be.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20399 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Musk is gonna let DT back on Twitter.

Barf.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Missed the vote.
My feed has not changed except I am following Elon.
Elon announced that Trump is now allowed on Twitter.
45s tweets are usually in the news, no need to follow him.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25665 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Yuck. Don’t want any more exposure to that bloviating windbag.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9785 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
I've just applied to join a private journalists group on Mastodon. It was announced on my alma mater's FB page. One of the application questions is "what is your handle on Twitter?" Since I have never used Twitter, they say they will have to get in touch with me for further vetting.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21284 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
It keeps getting weirder.

https://www.theguardian.com/te...olved-before-meeting

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37678 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Guy is posting publicly available data and he's banned. So much for free speech.

quote:
Twitter has suspended the account dedicated to tracking the location of billionaire Elon Musk’s private jet.

The account, @ElonJet, was run by Florida college student Jack Sweeney and had amassed more than half a million followers. It tracked Musk’s plane’s location using publicly available flight data and appears to have been suspended Wednesday morning.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/12/1...ks-private-jet-.html

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Twitter was very good for watching the Arab Spring.
Use it occasionally to see what is going on. There are(were?) some very bright people tweeting.
Recently the hate and bile became too much.
I quit.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25665 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post