well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Floating f***ing billboards!

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Floating f***ing billboards!
 Login/Join

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted
NY Times article

I couldn't believe it the first time I saw one of these. I was trying to enjoy the view of the Brooklyn shoreline from a waterfront park on Staten Island, and there was this garishly lit billboard just off the far shore, ruining everybody's experience.

Not just a flat billboard, but a fully-illuminated, brightly colored ad, all LED's from border to border.

Taking in a view of the water should be a respite from the commercial world. This is a travesty. Good that the city will be getting rid of them.

--------------------------------
“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13811 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Great that they're going away. They put up incredibly bright animated billboards on I-10 near my old house and had to remove them. They were too bright and distracting, and everyone hated them.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Glad they're doing away with them.

They have those on the river in San Antonio. It's really obnoxious.

Speaking of which, I need to do a quick trip report...

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Oh wow, I didn't know that was a thing. How horrible!!

On my last flight, I was reflecting on how commercials have been inserted into every possible space, it's really unpleasant.

When I'm flying, I want to pay attention to any announcements because I'm still a little scared to fly because it might be important, it might be an update about take off time or arrival etc. Also, because I'm scared of flying I usually am listening to music with those earbuds that seal into your ear and block out sound.

So if I hear what sounds like an announcement, I quick take my ear buds out. But these days, it's more likely to be an announcement about some credit card promotion -- IOW a commercial. And then I'm annoyed because I feel like I've been tricked into listening to the damn commercial.

/threaddrift

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18431 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Really?

That sucks.

Posts: 24710 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post