well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Amazon error

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Amazon error
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
I ordered a kilo of my usual tea, Taylors of Harrogate Tea Room Blend. I did a Subscribe and Save this time around because they offered a 25% discount if you set up a regular delivery (which of course I can change/delete any time).

Package arrived today and it's a kilo of Scottish Breakfast Tea. It might be tasty but I didn't want to experiment with more than two pounds of tea and I know I like my regular brew. I logged in to do the return and when I got to the end it said they would send me the correct product and.....I don't have to return the Scottish Breakfast.

Full price on the Scottish Breakfast is $45, so I feel like won a mini-lottery.

happydance

Between this and the potatoes sprouting, I'm having a good day!

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
So my replacement tea came today.

Now I have two bags of the wrong tea.

The problem. They slapped the bar codes for the product I actually want on the wrong bags. I didn't notice that until I received the second (wrong) bag:

Just made a trip into automated Amazon Customer Service hell. Can't return the replacement. Can't return the original. Initially couldn't get past the phone system to get to a real person, though finally managed. She gave me a refund and....I can keep both bags of tea.

Anybody want to come over for tea? Like every day for the next year?

Big Grin

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Doesn't tea go stale after a while? You must drink the stuff 24/7/365! Big Grin

I bought 2 oz. of Jin Jun Mei MONTHS ago and still have some of it.

Posts: 12513 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
I bought some socks, and didn’t like them. Got a refund, but I don’t have to send them back. Your score is bigger!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9789 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I tried the Scottish Breakfast. It's quite acceptable.

quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
Doesn't tea go stale after a while? You must drink the stuff 24/7/365! Big Grin

I bought 2 oz. of Jin Jun Mei MONTHS ago and still have some of it.

My palate is not very discriminating... Big Grin

Seriously, though, most tea has a pretty good shelf life. Of course who knows which harvest it came from...could have been picked and processed in the current harvest, or could be the end of last year's crop.

https://teafloor.com/blog/how-...leaf-tea-stay-fresh/

A kilo lasts us about six months. I keep it pretty well sealed up in the original foil bag and put that in an airtight container. Goes down in the basement (which isn't very damp). I have a tin in the kitchen that I refill with a couple of weeks worth of tea.

We drink this type of black tea blend pretty strong (two scoops of tea per large mug) and add milk and sugar. I drink a couple of mugs a day, plus Mr wtg has a cup of this a few times a week.

At one time I had access to fabulous teas at bargain prices. Great little tea shop owned by a quirky retired Navy guy.

https://www.chicagotribune.com...103280288-story.html

(And on a totally unrelated note, Sailor Mitch told me he is related to the composer even though the last names are spelled a little differently.)

Sadly Sailor's Teas closed a long time ago and since then I've kind of stuck with predictable generic blends.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Iced tea will be your salvation.

Gallons and gallons of it. Smiler

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34852 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Amazon really is remarkably fair about returns when they make a mistake.

With such a plethora of tea, though, personally I'd donate one of the bags to the Food Bank.

I'm remembering the Law of Diminishing Marginal Utility I learned about in what turned out to be my most useful university economics course. It explains how a commodity can go from increasing value with increasing quantity to negative value (decreasing marginal utility) when one passes a threshold of "too much".

Comestibles are the classic instance, especially perishables. Tea is more resistant to going stale or spoilage (not to mention, one's just plain getting sick of any given flavor), but still there IS such a thing as too much of a good thing!

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
PS Can't imagine why Amazon didn't correct the wrong bar code. They aren't in danger of bankruptcy, but surely they must have suffered notable losses from many other consumers getting the wrong tea as you did, and winning their own mini lotteries.

FWIW even though he's had to discontinue his own tea consumption, RealPlayer is still THE greatest tea connoisseur on WTF. He can surely advise about any tea related issues - shelf life, most valuable flavors, relative prices.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
A black tea can last a couple of years.

Do you have one of those fancy containers that pushes the air out? They came on the market after I stopped drinking tea, unfortunately, but I use one for coffee now.

The standard old tea tins were never ideal, but were OK if you used up the tea promptly. Our tea group had all kinds of workarounds: bags within bags, clamps on foil bags, bags within tins. Nothing worked all that well.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13780 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
Amazon has obviously determined it is cheaper for them to have you keep the tea than process and restock the returns. I’ve had maybe a dozen no return refunds from Amazon, and not all food related. Their return policies are very fair. I particularly like the option to simply drop off return item at Kohls with a label you print. They handle packaging, and you get a $5 coupon to Kohls.

J

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17671 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
Iced tea will be your salvation.

Gallons and gallons of it. Smiler

I actually drink hot tea all summer. I've been off iced drinks for years because they don't agree with me. I know, very strange.

The only exceptions are the rare gin and tonic or rum and Coke. Or the even rarer mint julep... Big Grin

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
A black tea can last a couple of years.

Do you have one of those fancy containers that pushes the air out? They came on the market after I stopped drinking tea, unfortunately, but I use one for coffee now.

The standard old tea tins were never ideal, but were OK if you used up the tea promptly. Our tea group had all kinds of workarounds: bags within bags, clamps on foil bags, bags within tins. Nothing worked all that well.

Not familiar with the fancy containers. Got a link?

Bazootiehead-in-training