well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Fentanyl vaccine

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fentanyl vaccine
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
A research team led by the University of Houston has developed a vaccine targeting the dangerous synthetic opioid fentanyl that could block its ability to enter the brain, thus eliminating the drug’s “high.”

The breakthrough discovery could have major implications for the nation’s opioid epidemic by becoming a relapse prevention agent for people trying to quit using opioids. While research reveals Opioid Use Disorder (OUD) is treatable, an estimated 80% of those dependent on the drug suffer a relapse.

https://neurosciencenews.com/fentanyl-vaccine-21835/

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37793 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
What about the withdrawal?

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
My question as well.

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Maybe put it in the same vending machines they’re installing to dispense Naloxone.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
My impression is that the vaccine is supposed to prevent overdose and death and would keep people from relapsing because the fentanyl would no longer produce the high.

I just assumed that current methods of dealing with the addiction would continue to be used.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37793 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Reminds me of arguments for and against chemical castration of repeat child offenders.

I can see it becoming a standard part of sentencing for repeat opioid abusers.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
This doesn't make sense to me. Who's going to choose to be "vaccinated"?

Fentanyl isn't just any opioid. A single dose can kill a person easily.

People need to not take take it.

End of.

Posts: 24654 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:

End of.

“Just say no?”

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:
This doesn't make sense to me. Who's going to choose to be "vaccinated"?

Fentanyl isn't just any opioid. A single dose can kill a person easily.

End of.

Daniel, a great many (perhaps even most) of those dying of fentanyl overdose do so because it's been mixed with their usual/sought drug without their being aware.

That's one of the worst aspects of opioid overdose. Because they don't know what they're getting and how potent it is (of anything, not just fentanyl), they are super vulnerable to consuming more than they intended.

That's one good thing about legal, prescription drugs - they come in clearly marked packages with the dose identified. When drugs are purchased from dealers on the street, they don't know what they're getting.

Perhaps most dangerous with fentanyl, the tiniest crumb can be lethal because it's so potent. (I can't imagine why dealers sell drugs with that admixture, but I guess they don't know what they're selling either.)

Many of them, are just selling to support their own habits anyway.

Your remark was clearly ignorant of these sad facts, and besides that, it came across as lacking in compassion (as Steve picked up). Most junkies and alcoholics do NOT want to be addicted! They feel completely worthless and helpless against their substance.

It's very much a live for the moment kind of thing - they know sooner or later it's going to kill them (or they'll end up in prison) Going to prison however awful the withdrawal is, is often the only thing that can save them. Withdrawal clinics sadly have their limits - even the ritzy ones (the rich parents pay, the kids aren't motivated and so they keep coming back to what's become their way of life, and social circle.)

For the record, in Portugal which decriminalized hard drugs, death rates have plummeted.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Forgot to add that when addicts are sober for a while for whatever reason, their tolerance to the drug drops hugely, making them all the more vulnerable to overdose. They haven''t a clue what their habituation has done at any given point (nobody's monitoring them anymore than they're overseeing the drug doses and purity).

Without oversight (or insight, of course) they're apt to go back to what looked like their usual line (or less) but they're out like a light. I imagine this could happen with pretty much anything that looks like a white powder (but this is out of my area of know-how...)

Especially if they're alone. If others are around, they're more likely to get Narcan (a horrible way to be brought back to life, in acute withdrawal).

So next thing you know, many are all the more desperate to get high again.

A vaccine would literally be a lifesaver, at least if they have a shred of motivation. (Hoping it would be long lasting.)

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
I simply can't believe that that satanic pseudo -human actually said all drug offenders should be killed. He's so clueless and cruel.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Well, I wasn't talking about people buying drugs on the street.

I have known people who have had it prescribed for pain.

My point was actually people shouldn't accept it as a prescription.

But while we're on this topic, I've seen countless videos of drug addicts on the streets of San Francisco and Philadelphia. They are on the ground or standing and bending over, not moving, or barely moving, almost as if they were mannequins.

I wonder what drugs they do, and for that matter, what drugs they think they are doing...

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yikes! HairRaising