well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Purse No More!
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Purse No More!
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Omg, no more heels for me. They are uncomfortable for one, and they also make me tower over people more than I already do. I’ve got about 10 pairs of sneakers, all different colors, a few leather slip ons, and a million pairs of boots!

--------------------------------
Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20432 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
I misplace my phone or my purse so often..I would NEVER put the two together!!

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Re heels, I'm not very tall, so towering over someone was never an option. But Mr. SK is also not very tall, maybe an inch (or 0.5 inch??) taller than me? When we got married, the kimono dresser made him wear special "platform zori" sandals!! ROTFLMAO

These are the regular kind, so just imagine them stacked to add height:

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18390 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Number one concern for me: Don’t keep your house keys together with anything identifying your address.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13801 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Most of my clothes don’t have pockets, so that purse is my pocket. I usually have a Baggallini cross body if I’m traveling. Lightweight, very organized. Around town I use my big tote bag that holds knitting as well as wallet/keys/phone. Lots of pockets there, too.

I like the slot on the back of the Popsocket, but I need a wrist strap for my phone; I’m afraid I’ll drop it while holding it out over a balcony taking pictures. I just use a cheap camera wrist strap through the holes at the bottom of my phone case.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9795 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
I begged my wife for a murse for a Xmas present and I picked it out. I keep house keys and cash in pants pockets, but everything else in the bag. I guess I am one of those guys who doesn't like to have pockets full of stuff.

I find the bag very convenient. Everything is always there, in one place, except for the phone.

Used to have a fanny pack but I always thought they looked dorky.

I enjoyed this!

My artisan made leather bag's shoulder strap was take apart by the failure of a piece of hardware.

Now I have get the hardware and fix it myself. Or my bag will need to be sent to Florence.

I used it as a doorstop. It developed a beautiful patina. Then disaster. Lol!

Posts: 24687 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Seems to me a local shoe repair guy could fix it. Maybe try that before paying shipping to Italy.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34884 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Yes, sir, if I can find one. What a good idea. I will look.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
I have finally been liberated from carrying a purse. Free at last, free at last, God almighty, I'm free at last!

My daughter got me a Popsocket for my phone. This is a device that sticks onto the back of your phone case. It has a slot for credit cards, and it has a convenient pop-out handle that you can use for grip when taking a selfie or as a stand to watch content on your phone.

It has changed my life. Now instead of a huge, heavy wallet that has every card I might possibly use, I usually just carry my phone with my main credit card and my driver's license. If I'm driving, I will toss my backpack in the car (just in case I need my Costco or AAA card or readers or keys).

What's that, you say? Backpack? That's right. I now have a small Osprey commuter backpack. It is so much easier than having all that weight on one shoulder.

I am done with purses.

Good for you.

In Florida, we wear a lot of shorts from which pockets might fall anything and everything.

I have one pair of chino shorts, with pockets deep enough to carry my wallet and keys (and nothing else, really-- a few scraps of paper and a facemask. The phone won't fit. I see others wearing their phones in their back pockets but I'm pretty sure mine would fall out.

I'd get a bigger bag in the form of a modified satchel bag from my favorite workshop if price were no object.

I'm sure what I'll do is fix the bag I have.

Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I've always carried a purse of some kind. I leaned toward a big leather saddlebag-like bag in which I stashed way too many things, until neck issues made carrying it untenable.

To be fair to my past self, you need a lot more stuff when you have kids, but I also carried a bulky Hewlett-Packard scientific calculator for years after I needed it daily. I guess it was just part of my identity. You never know when you're going to need to deal with some matrices.

I switched to fanny packs when the neck pain got bad. They were black leather and I wore them low-slung on one hip, gunslinger-style over my jeans, and my children assure me that they thought I looked very cool when they were ten. I had regular purses for when I dressed up.

I went back to shoulder bags when my neck got better, albeit without the Hewlett-Packard, but that was probably dumb. I'm always going to have some degree of neck and jaw pain. When I started carrying a computer to work every day, the computer bag and shoulder bag were just too much. I switched to a tiny purse with a long strap I can wear across my body.

I am always wrestling with how much I can cram into it. It has slots for credit cards and a zippered center pocket where I put my keys and change and other small things I don't want to lose. The keyring that holds my bulky work keys goes in the main pocket. I don't even carry a house key, because the garage door has a remote. There's a pocket for cash and receipts. There's not room for much more. There's an exterior pocket for my phone.

I bought a computer bag through a Kickstarter campaign that is much lighter and less bulky than the standard one. It's fashiony, made of cork (very light) printed to look like ostrich leather, and it has a purse-like clasp at the top. Its straps can be configured to use like a backpack, but I wear it crossbody.

I liked it so well that I bought a matching purse of a more standard size than my tiny daily purse, with lots of pockets and accessories. It's quite pretty, for a plain black purse. I figured I'd use it when I was dressed up and needed more space but wasn't carrying the computer. Then the pandemic hit and I haven't needed it once.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15507 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post