well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Hey Steve

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hey Steve
 Login/Join

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted
Our neighbors have a dilapidated house across the street that got little care or updating over the years. I always assumed they were too poor to do fixing-up.

But now work is being done. There was red aluminum siding that was removed, and it looks like the original wood underneath has been freshened up…old paint removed and somehow brightened.

Does this look like preparation for painting? I sure hope so. Would it make sense to do all that work on the exterior wood and just cover it up with siding again?

The front of the house is still in rough shape; would need a bunch of carpentry. But it’s a start.

--------------------------------
“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13779 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I doubt anyone would spend the time to clean up the old wood like that (How are they doing it? Pressure washing?) if they intended to cover it up again. In fact, with that level of prep they may well intend to stain it.

I see it was cut up and made in to a triplex at some point, likely jist after WW2. It would be great to see it as a single family home once again!

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Interesting, Steve; you must have inferred from the 3 electric meters that there are 3 units. Maybe there are, but I’ve only seen one couple who live there. It was originally the rectory of a Methodist church next door (still there, but converted to residences).

But this neighborhood is full of ENORMOUS houses from around the 1880s (it is an official historic district). Our own house was converted to two units, and we rent one.

I am hoping the homeowners above mean to restore it to something like its original appearance. It would certainly enhance the neighborhood. I like that the window openings haven’t been altered over time.

Of course, if I were a nosy neighbor, I’d go up and ask them about their plans. Smiler

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13779 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
If you get a chance I hope you’ll post more pictures. It’s an interesting house for a couple of reasons.

The windows date it to mid/late 19th century but the box on the side looks to have been added shortly after the house was built. The siding and the windows match but the proportions are different. The turned up corners on the roof of the addition have a vaguely Asian look to them - very unusual. I wonder if someone traveled to Asia and wanted a reminder of their trip.

I’ve never seen windows inset like that - is it a common detail in your neighborhood?

I’m also curious about the foundation. It appears to be either rubble or stacked stone and it looks to be in bad shape. I wonder if there are plans to lift the house and rebuild it.

Posts: 34851 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Oh, I see. The windows are replacements - possibly metal - and the openings were reframed to accommodate them.

Nice work, and very clever.

It looks like there is a bit of a rick rack saw cut at the lower edge of the fascia on the one side. I originally thought it was rot but appears to repeat on the other side as well. Are all of the fascia ends cut that way?

Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
When we had a guy rebuild our basement entrance we found that the supports (uprights) were stacked bricks (partway up, the rest lumber). This was probably 1887, but our house was so modified over the years, who knows? (We still have those bricks stacked in the garage.) The one basement room with walls that weren’t covered over are brick.

We have neighbors whose homes were built around 1840. Those are stone foundations. We’ve been in their basements.

The fascia cut (if I understand what you’re talking about) is that roof overhang. Looks to me like it is ornamental and original.

Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
UPDATE here — Painting of above house is coming along! I complimented the guy up on a ladder and it turns out he is not a hired painter but the homeowner!

Anyway, here is a picture of work in progress. Color is a burnt orange with red window trim and green accents. Dramatic!

Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
It looks like they're doing a very good restoration of the exterior. I wonder what they plan for the interior.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7381 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Bright colors!

I wonder if they’re historic.

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
That’s a fun upgrade to the neighborhood!

Is this a long-time owner, or a new owner?

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9789 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
They could be historical colors. They were known to often be vivid.

I don’t know if it’s a new owner. We don’t often know our immediate neighbors around here.

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Thats a lot of work for a homeowner. Wow.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13525 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I hope he doesn't try to tackle that chimney flue repair on his own.... Eeker

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update, that’s cool to see!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18330 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post