well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Piano lamp - what kind should I get?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Piano lamp - what kind should I get?
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
wtg, thanks for the suggestion. I don't think a lamp like that will work because it would have to sit at my left elbow and the shade would be either in my way, or in my left peripheral vision...

I'm going to see if there's something that would work directly behind me, where that outlet is....

In the meantime, this lamp won't work for me, but I love the lamp and picture combination (from an Amazon review)

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18439 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Ok, I took a lamp from another room in the house (cannibalizing my lamps?)

Does this work here? I don't really like the shade for this room... Also I need to wait till the room is darker and see if it's enough light -- it's a three-way, so it should be an improvement, but it might not be quite enough light...

Posts: 18439 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
The other two options are this:

or this, in which case I would angle both shades upward:

ETA:

Any opinions about which one would look nicest? The options now are:
1. My lamp (with the double stem)
2. The round disc lamp
3. The double cone lamp
4. The triple shade lamp

I feel like the cone lamp would work with the colors in the room, and the triple shade lamp would be nice with the black lines...

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
AdagioM,
quote:
Why not leave your piano open?

I just have always kept my pianos closed when not playing them. It reduces the dust they get inside, and with the grand, it seems like it would help with stability etc.

The piano does look nicer with at least the music desk up, but I'm not keen to attach a lamp and not be able to easily close it up.

I'm not exactly a neat freak or a perfectionist about other things, but with my piano I am very much over-protective.

I'm trying really hard not to say anal retentive here...

Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
I think your needs might be best served by a light either mounted to the ceiling or suspended from it directly above where you want the light on the keyboard and music stand. It might not be as attractive aesthetically, but function before form. That's the engineer in me speaking.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7404 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
AdagioM,
quote:
Why not leave your piano open?

I just have always kept my pianos closed when not playing them. It reduces the dust they get inside, and with the grand, it seems like it would help with stability etc.

The piano does look nicer with at least the music desk up, but I'm not keen to attach a lamp and not be able to easily close it up.

I'm not exactly a neat freak or a perfectionist about other things, but with my piano I am very much over-protective.

I'm trying really hard not to say anal retentive here...

I leave my keyboard open and the music desk up, just to be enticing as I’m walking by. I don’t keep the lid up on the stick, though. I figure I can vacuum the bit of strings under the open part. And the tuning is rock solid, according to my tuner.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9799 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Big Al, I would actually love to have track lights wired in to the ceiling, maybe three lights that could be angled, one at the keyboard... But that’s an expense I don’t want right now. Also, having tried all the lamps in my house plus two lamps I’ve ordered and will now return suave I realize that it is hard to anticipate how the light will look, and I would hate to install ceiling-mounted track lights and then not like them.

Playing last night, I found that the lamp that’s there now is perfect in terms of lighting. It’s ambient, so no shadows on the keys, and it brightens up the score perfectly.

However, I don’t like how it looks. And that lamps actually goes in the family room so I’d like to put it back there. Razzer

I’m wondering if one of the lamps I found online, when angled to the wall, would provide that kind of ambient light. The wall is a very light color so that should help...

So maybe I’ll try one more order...