Tools

Boycott
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
i think being pro-life actually is evil. denying someone's civil rights is evil.

You're refusing to see their starting point (which I believe is wrong, but it's an assumption on everyone's part, one way or the other). Their starting point is that it's a human being at conception. If they're right ... and, again, I do not agree with their starting position ... abortion is the killing of a human being.

So, once you've made that starting assumption, it's the railroad problem. Throw the switch one way, and someone's civil rights are denied. Throw it the other way, and someone else's civil rights are denied, and they're dead to boot. There are no good solutions to the railroad problem.

Frankly, the best argument for how evil they are comes from the actions of Alabama legislators. The Alabama law doesn't apply to embryos created through IVF, because, in the words of one legislator, there's no woman involved. The real reason, of course, is that there's no fertility clinic involved, and they aren't prepared to fight the medical establishment and the fertility clinics and infertile families, in addition to everyone else. But that just makes it clear that they are not willing to protect human embryos at all costs, just when it's convenient from a political point of view.

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
My point was about the idea of boycotting. Kind of hard to boycott your home state, and I can't imagine you moving over it.

Agreed. I understand the motivation behind the boycott and sympathize with it, but it's not very practical. The only way for us to leave Oklahoma would be for me to retire from teaching. The market realities in my field are such that I am incredibly lucky to have the job I do.

It seems more practical to spend my money intentionally rather than to boycott. When I travel to a deep blue state, there is no guarantee that I'm not giving my money to someone whose values horrify me. That's true anywhere. But I can skew things in the right direction when I know the values of the people running a business. Thus, I no longer eat at Chik-fil-a. Penzey's Spices is out front about its progressive politics, and Quirt and I recently shopped there. And so on.

In some cases, though, the boycott makes sense. When a movie brings a huge production crew to Georgia, there is a real chance that one of its employees will have a miscarriage and get tangled up in an ugly legal situation. If I were a producer, I would take that into account when I chose a location.

--------------------------------
Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15510 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
quote:
It’s well within the realm of possibility that Oklahoma passes a similar bill to GA, AL, etc.

None of this actually worries people who are liberal and have money. As Mary Anna reminds me, Susan Sarandon and other Bernie supporters live in California. California isn't going to eliminate abortion rights within the state. Oregon just passed expanded abortion rights. My family will be able to travel.

And then I ask Mary Anna what we'll all do when a Republican Congress passes a nationwide abortion ban ...

Thank you Bernie and Bernie supporters!

The worst part for me is, I've been saying this since 2015. I saw this train coming down the tracks.

What does Bernie Sanders have to do with this topic?

Posts: 24712 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
quote:
It’s well within the realm of possibility that Oklahoma passes a similar bill to GA, AL, etc.

None of this actually worries people who are liberal and have money. As Mary Anna reminds me, Susan Sarandon and other Bernie supporters live in California. California isn't going to eliminate abortion rights within the state. Oregon just passed expanded abortion rights. My family will be able to travel.

And then I ask Mary Anna what we'll all do when a Republican Congress passes a nationwide abortion ban ...

Thank you Bernie and Bernie supporters!

The worst part for me is, I've been saying this since 2015. I saw this train coming down the tracks.

What does Bernie Sanders have to do with this topic?

Come on, you must have been paying attention. The argument's been made repeatedly.

If Bernie and the Bernie supporters hadn't screwed up the 2016 election, Kavanaugh and Gorsuch wouldn't be on the Supreme Court, and we wouldn't be in the position of worrying about whether Roe v. Wade would be reversed.

I wrote several posts here in 2016 warning that one of the biggest risks of a Trump Presidency was a flip in the Supreme Court. Many people all over social media were saying the same thing. But the Bernie supporters all insisted that Clinton was just as bad as Trump.

So, thank you, Bernie supporters. You did this to us.

And thank you Bernie, for indulging your ego and attacking Democrats to the point that your supporters couldn't support Clinton in the end.

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post