well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Grandmother Name Suggestions Needed
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Grandmother Name Suggestions Needed
 Login/Join

Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on the expected family addition.

In our family, my parents ended up being Grandma and Grandpa Huffman, while my wife's parents were Papa Herb and Ma Mir.

For me and my sister, my father's parents, who lived with us on the farm, were Nonny and Nanny. My mother's parents had already passed away before she married so there was no naming involved other than later discussions of ancestors that usually referred to them either by name or relationship.

Currently, our two-year-old granddaughter is calling us Papa Al and Mama Bonni.

One of my daughters lived for awhile with another woman and her grandmother from Brazil. In portuguese, grandma is avó and grandpa is avô. These are often shortened to vó for grandma and vô for grandpa, particularly when a child is addressing or speaking of their own grandparents. I never heard the roommate's grandmother called anything but vó. For a long time, I assumed that was her given name.

Big Al

--------------------------------
Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7407 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Thanks all. I am going to wing it for now and see what comes of it. Shrug

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Not a grandmother, so I have no personal names to contribute.

From my family, one grandmother was called "Cokie." I'm not sure why.
The other was Grandma, which we shortened at some point to Grand. Once her first great-grandchild arrived, we switched to calling her "Great." That seemed to work out for all involved. Big Grin

My own mother was Nana to her grandkids, my dad was Grandjack (his first name is Jack). Again, I don't remember how this came about and why he wasn't just Grandpa.

Mr. Nina's parents were/are Grandma and Grandpa.

My sister is Mimi, my brother in law is Grandpa.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
When Oldest called, I was at work..Fortunately just my Executive Director and I were the only ones in the office (I was sobbing to be truthful).

Today I came to the office and she presented me with this...the tears came again..

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post