well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Grandmother Name Suggestions Needed
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Grandmother Name Suggestions Needed
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted
Yup..Oldest called today to ask me what I want to be called. happydance

Still very early so they are not revealing anything to the wider world, just their parents.

Been bursting into tears all day long...Yes

So...My mother, now slated to be a Great Grandmother is "Gramma Keeler", Mr. Beelady's Mom is "Gramma Barb", his step Mom is "Gramma Pam"..All these amazing women are all still living. Eeker

My grands were "Nana", my Dad's Mom, and "Nan Nan" my Mom's (her name was Anne but she was known as Nan).

So now what...When oldest was little he started calling my father in law "Great Dad" and it stuck...I am inclined to let it all just happen.

No matter, I love this little one a Billion Skillion. Yes

All suggestions and ideas welcome!

--------------------------------
"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! No suggestions.

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
Congratulations! No suggestions.

Smiler Thanks, Quirt. You are a good friend.

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Dan
posted Hide Post
My grandma was Nana. My mom, when she became a grandma, was Mama C (real name Carolyn). My great-grandma was Mama Beeson to some of us g-grand kids, and Mama Beesee to others. So, do what ya want! And congratulations!
Smiler

Posts: 1534 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
I was going to try Ronpa, but decided to just be grampa unless he calls me something else. Inlaw uses "papa" and "grammie", so I didn't feel the urge to be unique! MrsTuner is opting for "Rennie" at this point.

Any cultural history? We used Babi & Deda for the Czech grandparents...

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7546 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I’ve ended up being “Grampy Steve”. Sharon is “Grammie Sharon”.

I don’t remember being consulted.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34834 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Močiutė (Lithuanian) or Baba (Russian)...not much help here....but congratulations to Grandma Bee!

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37755 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Gramma Bee!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9786 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Ours were Grandma and Grandpa pn both sides of the family. Not a suggestion, just info.
Smiler

CONGRATULATIONS!

happydance

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21302 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!!!

Insta Gram?
Gram Cracker?
Killa Gram?

Ok. How about Abuelita?

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!

We were so boring when I was a kid. Everyone was just grandma or grandpa or great grandma, etc. We would add a surname on to differentiate when needed. Except for my Mennonite German-speaking grandparents who were Oma and Opa.

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4080 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AdagioM:
Congratulations Gramma Bee!
At last, we’ve found the long lost sister of Spelling Bee!

Congratulations, BeeLady!

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12680 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
When I was a kid, our grandparents where Grandma and Grandpa (paternal), Grandma and Pappy (maternal). We added their surnames if talking amongst ourselves and needing to distinguish. My mother is now called Nana by my niece. One of my other relatives has their grandkids call them Nonna.

More to the point: CONGRATULATIONS BL!!!!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18312 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! Mine were Nanna and Nanny, and my mom wanted to be called Nonnie. Steve calls his parents by their first names, so our kids do too.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20410 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
My parents both lost their mothers as infants, so I am winging it. I have no grandmother frame-of-reference.

My mother asked to be Grammie, but the kids couldn't say it. She was Mamaw and Daddy was Papaw.

I asked to be Mimi and it's easy to say, so that's what they call me. I have been with them all since last Saturday, so I am a happy Mimi.

Congratulations, Grandma Bee! Or Mimi Bee! Or Mamaw Bee! Whatever your name turns out to be, you will be a wonderful grandmother!

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15505 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post