well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    The Feynman Learning Technique

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Feynman Learning Technique
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
The Feynman Learning Technique is a simple way of approaching anything new you want to learn.
Why use it? Because learning doesn’t happen from skimming through a book or remembering enough to pass a test. Information is learned when you can explain it and use it in a wide variety of situations. The Feynman Technique gets more mileage from the ideas you encounter instead of rendering anything new into isolated, useless factoids.

https://fs.blog/2021/02/feynma...source=pocket-newtab

I think people learning this technique could kill a lot of pointless internet arguments. Big Grin

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37879 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
We could use a few more Feynmans in our public dialog today.

I shared my copy of Surely You’re Joking, Mr. Feynman! with my children. I know it made a great impression on at least one of them.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7404 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I’ve been doing this and preaching it for years. Just without a name. If I had to give it a name, I called it “actual knowledge” or “the kernel of understanding” or “the kernel of cognition”.

I knew and told others, you find out how much you know (or don’t) about something when you try to explain it to someone else... preferably a sixth-grader.

Engineers would get all irritated when I’d say this. I’d tell them it’s easy to explain a complex technical concept to another engineer. But you prove you really understand it when you can explain it to a sixth-grader.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
Engineers would get all irritated when I’d say this. I’d tell them it’s easy to explain a complex technical concept to another engineer. But you prove you really understand it when you can explain it to a sixth-grader.

Not all engineers... I've always enjoyed it when I could convey a concept to people not schooled in that particular discipline in terms they could understand.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7404 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by big al:
We could use a few more Feynmans in our public dialog today.

I shared my copy of Surely You’re Joking, Mr. Feynman! with my children. I know it made a great impression on at least one of them.

Big Al

I enjoyed that book and his other autobiographical book What Do You Care What Other People Think?. In the second half of this one, he talks about his part in the Rogers Commission investigation into the Challenger disaster, including his demonstration with the glass of ice water and an O-ring.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37879 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
The three minute thesis

This is a cool thing that was started at University of Queensland, where students give a three minute presentation on their thesis topic. They get one slide. Timing is completely inflexible. Winner gets something, maybe just recognition. It's been taken up by a lot of universities. My daughter will be doing it here this spring.

I've generally tried to go to them. There are some that are just a hot mess, but most are really interesting. I think it's a great idea.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post