well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    National Popular Vote Interstate Compact

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

National Popular Vote Interstate Compact
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
I hadn't heard about this. Anyone been following it?

quote:
The Democratic-led Virginia House of Delegates has passed legislation that seeks to award the state’s electoral votes to the presidential candidate that wins the national popular vote in an election.

The measure, also known as House Bill 177, passed the legislative chamber in a 51-46 vote on Tuesday after clearing the body’s Privileges and Elections Committee in a vote last week.

If the legislation is passed by the Senate, where Democrats also hold control, and signed into law by the governor, Virginia would subsequently be entered into the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact.

“Under the compact, Virginia agrees to award its electoral votes to the presidential ticket that receives the most popular votes in all 50 states and the District of Columbia,” a bill summary states. “The compact goes into effect when states cumulatively possessing a majority of the electoral votes have joined the compact.”

“A state may withdraw from the compact; however, a withdrawal occurring within six months of the end of a President's term shall not become effective until a President or Vice President has qualified to serve the next term,” the summary continues.

So far, only 15 states and Washington, D.C., have entered the compact, according to National Popular Vote, a nonprofit group tracking the status of states on the issue. A group of states possessing 74 electoral votes would need to join the agreement in order for the compact to take effect.

https://thehill.com/homenews/s...-to-whoever-wins-the

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37767 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Interesting.

It reminds me of an index fund for some reason.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34836 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Saw that. I think it will be declared unconstitutional but we will see.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13521 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
Saw that. I think it will be declared unconstitutional but we will see.

I think it's a great idea, but I also fear that it would be declared unconstitutional (even though the Constitution allows the states to apportion electors as they see fit).

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Besides, the only states that will pass it are already blue.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
Besides, the only states that will pass it are already blue.

Virginia is still a bit purple.

Posts: 12501 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
VA is a bit like Ohio in that red or blue depends on where you are. Northeast is blue, most of the rest is pretty red. In VA, the DC area is blue, otherwise pretty red.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13521 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
VA is a bit like Ohio in that red or blue depends on where you are. Northeast is blue, most of the rest is pretty red. In VA, the DC area is blue, otherwise pretty red.

Largely, not entirely, true. The 2016 Presidential election map:

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
That tends to be true for many states, at least in the midwest and west-- the population centers tend to be blue, while the outlying rural areas tend to be red.

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Even here that’s true.

Which makes it a question as to how urbanized the state is. VA turned blue in 2008. NC went from reliably red to purple. When (not if) Texas turns purple that will upend the status quo.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Freakin nobody lives in those dark red areas. Big Grin

It's like those GOP "maps" that show the entire country red, with tiny blue dots, to which Democrats retort that people vote, not land.

See that blue area around DC ... that's 37% of the population of the entire state.

Posts: 12501 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
My fave electoral map. This is the 2016 presidential votes map.

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I learned this during the confligration in 2000.

Each state sends delegates in a manner designated by its legislature.

Posts: 24642 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post