well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    From A Biden Email I Received Today

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

From A Biden Email I Received Today
 Login/Join

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted
quote:
There are certain moments you never forget ‑‑ moments that end up changing the course of your life.

In my case, it was seven words spoken to me by the Vice President of the United States backstage in Nashville, Tennessee.

It was the summer after sixth grade. I was a middle school kid with a debilitating stutter.

My mom had brought me with her to an event, where then-Vice President Joe Biden was delivering the keynote address.

An aide brought us backstage before the event ‑‑ and there was Joe Biden. He pulled me aside and said this:

“I hear we have something in common.”

He told me that he’d had a stutter when he was younger, too. That he’d been bullied for it. He told me how determined he had been to overcome it.

So he’d spent hours memorizing paragraphs of Irish poetry. Then he’d stand in front of the mirror in his childhood bedroom and recite them to himself, keeping the muscles in his face steady, repeating the passages again and again.

This is how he had overcome his stutter, he told me. And he told me that I could, too. He told me to never let my stuttering define me.

In that moment, he completely changed my outlook. I decided I wasn’t going to hide anymore ‑‑ I decided to face my own stutter head-on.

I started speaking more in public ‑‑ giving speeches and facing my fears. And Joe checked in and encouraged me along the way. We kept in touch over the years with letters. I’ll never forget a line from one of them, which read:

“Dear Campbell ‑‑ I'm so very proud of you. You've grown to be just what I expected of you ‑‑ an articulate, generous, wonderful young man with a heart of gold.”

Joe Biden knows that every single person in this country has had to deal with his or her own setbacks. And he knows that it’s how you deal with them ‑‑ how you choose to get back up when you’ve been knocked down -- that truly defines us.

That's what has always defined Joe Biden. He never quits. He always gets back up.

I believe that we need a leader who truly understands what regular people are going through -- who will stand up for them. Who will never quit.

That’s why I’m supporting Joe Biden’s campaign for President of the United States.

We all have more in common than we think. Joe Biden knows that. And that’s why he has my vote.

Thanks for listening,

Campbell Parker

This came as part of the unending stream of fundraising emails. But this one caught my attention, so I went online to check out its veracity. And of course I discovered that it's very much a true story.

The Teen's Story

Biden isn't many progressives' cup of tea, I know. My youngest is one of those who sees him as just another "corporate tool."

I have rarely voted based on policy, which may be a surprise to many. I tend to vote on my perception of character. My choice is clear this time around.

Posts: 12530 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
It was Joe Biden himself who said he was a sell out. There's a famous clip of it. Maybe your youngest is on to something.

In any case, I don't think there's much chance an incumbent Republican president will be defeated.

Well, on second thought, with the Corona virus pandemic and upcoming recession, who knows?

Posts: 24710 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Will will all vote based on our own criteria, and live with our choices. I'm happy with mine.

Posts: 12530 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post