Find
Notify
Tools

Books
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
It was interesting and I’m glad I read it, though I’m always a little disappointed by magical realism.

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
It was interesting and I’m glad I read it, though I’m always a little disappointed by magical realism.

I love magical realism. What disappoints you about it?

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21347 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
Reading "the Guns of August," something I never read before. Amazing writing.

I need to be honest, I thought that book was overrated.

I think Churchill does a much better job describing the events leading up to the war in the opening chapters of his WWI memoir, even the one volume abridged version.

I also think her personal distaste for Germans comes out in a rather unprofessional way.

I did like her book 'The Zimmerman Telegram' from the same era. It's about German efforts to get Mexico to try to win back the territory taken by us in the 19th century, essentially to keep us out of the European war.

What did you think of "Stillwell"...? I haven't read Churchill's memoir, but it sounds like I should put it on the list of things to read.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
That book was exceptional! I forgot it was she who wrote it. But yes, very good.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
quote:

I love magical realism. What disappoints you about it?

Really just a taste thing, not sure I can reduce it much. Seems like cheating somehow.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Nina if you do read Churchill’s WWI memoirs, DEFINITELY read the abridged version. He oversaw the abridgment himself and as he says, the original had a lot of material that seemed far more important to him when he wrote it than 15 years later (like self-justification for the Dardanelles). And damn, is he a good writer.