Find
Notify
Tools

Books
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted
Anything to recommend? Apart from Mary Anna’s excellent work, which goes without saying everyone should read.

I am just finishing The Overstory, which I find original and amazing.

https://images-na.ssl-images-a...BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Jf

--------------------------------
Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17677 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Aw, thanks. That's really sweet!

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15507 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Anna:
Aw, thanks. That's really sweet!

Just packed up my complete collection of your work to send to my sister, who loved Artifacts, which I gave her for Christmas.

Jf

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17677 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
I just finished the second book of the "Old Filth" trilogy by Jane Gardham. I highly recommend the first book. The second wasn't quite as breathtakingly good as the first, but still really satisfying.

I'm now on the first page of "The Master and Margarita" by Mikhail Bulgakov. I started it when I had pneumonia a couple of years ago but it is a really long book and i had to return it to the library before I got very far. This time I bought my own copy.

Alongside that I'm reading "Dressage Formula" by Erik Herberman, who is my teacher's teacher. I had tried to read it 3 years ago and couldn't make heads or tails of it. Now, every sentence is like an arrow in my heart.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21317 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
The Kingdom-Jo Nesbo

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
Just finished "Voyage of Mercy" by Stephen Puleo about the first American humanitarian aid mission that sent a war ship filled with food to aid Ireland during the potato famine.

One of those lost stories of history. Shrug

Interestingly, the politics of the time were interesting. I felt I could just plug in modern day names and the story would be oh so similar to today. Razzer

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I’m on my third book by Bill Bryson and I’ve enjoyed every one.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34885 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Reading "the Guns of August," something I never read before. Amazing writing.

Posts: 35373 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm now on the first page of "The Master and Margarita" by Mikhail Bulgakov.

I have a funny story about that book. I read it in the late 90s. At one point I was in O’Hare heading back to NYC standing in the United Airlines checkin line. I’m holding the book. The woman in front of me is also holding the book, same edition with a relatively bright cover. What are the odds? It’s not like this was the latest bestselling paperback or something.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I’m reading Shirer’s Rise and Fall of the Third Reich. A re-read from the the early 90s. It is fascinating and detailed. Even more than I remember.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Thank you all.
Got Kindle samples of the books you are reading. Trying to buy books I will finish.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
Reading "the Guns of August," something I never read before. Amazing writing.

I need to be honest, I thought that book was overrated.

I think Churchill does a much better job describing the events leading up to the war in the opening chapters of his WWI memoir, even the one volume abridged version.

I also think her personal distaste for Germans comes out in a rather unprofessional way.

I did like her book 'The Zimmerman Telegram' from the same era. It's about German efforts to get Mexico to try to win back the territory taken by us in the 19th century, essentially to keep us out of the European war.

Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Qaanaaq-Liaaq
posted Hide Post
Read “The Wanting Seed” by Anthony Burgess, the same author of “A Clockwork Orange”. It's a fictional novel with a disturbing story. It’s a look at a future dystopian world in which world overpopulation causes famine, artificial food, and wars without enemies. I don’t want to say too much and be a spoiler. The book was easy to pick up and hard to put down. Don't read it if you're squeamish.

Posts: 1411 | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Forum Frequenter
Picture of DaleH
posted Hide Post
I'm currently reading "The Summer of 1787" by David O. Stewart about the writing of the US Constitution. It's chattier than I expected - lots of personal details about the founders and their interactions. I recently finished "Angel in the Whirlwind" ("The Triumph of the American Revolution"), which was ok, and planning to read next "Ratification" by Pauline Maier alongside "The Federalist Papers." This is all part of my "retirement plan" to learn things I should have learned in high school and college.

Posts: 335 | Location: Central Massachusetts | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
quote:
I'm now on the first page of "The Master and Margarita" by Mikhail Bulgakov.

I have a funny story about that book. I read it in the late 90s. At one point I was in O’Hare heading back to NYC standing in the United Airlines checkin line. I’m holding the book. The woman in front of me is also holding the book, same edition with a relatively bright cover. What are the odds? It’s not like this was the latest bestselling paperback or something.

So what did you think of the book?

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21317 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post