well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Outdoor mold and algae cleaner

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Outdoor mold and algae cleaner
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted
I have been seeing a nearly Ph neutral product called Wet and Forget that you can just spray on and let it do its stuff. No rinsing, you can leave it on roofs.

Anyone used it or something else like it that you liked?

I am getting a bit of green gunk on the north side of my roof that is shaded, and on shaded spots on my cultured stone on the deck.

--------------------------------
"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13525 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Costco sells Wet and Forget this time of year. Or at least they have in the past.

I bought it a few years ago to use up in Door County (house in the middle of a cedar forest, so mucho shade and moss) but never got around to applying it.

I thought about bringing it back down here to use on a shady area of my backyard patio when the house up there sold, but as I recall there were some cautions regarding pets so I decided to skip it.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I've never heard of it, and wonder if it works. We have a lot of deck that needs annual pressure washing here in the ol' PNW. Plus this winter was warmer than I recall (I think we only had a few days of subfreezing/snow), and our algae in the shady areas is, um, impressive.

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
We had bad moss growth on the roof at our old house. When we re-roofed, the roofers put a strip of zinc tucked under the top row of shingles. It stuck out about an inch and you could see the shiny metal for a few weeks til it oxidized -- then it blended in and was basically invisible. But I guess when it rains, the rain washes a bit of zinc down over the roof and that kills the algae. We lived there for several more years and never had any algae growth so I was impressed. They did say the zinc strips were something that could be retrofitted onto an existing roof (our roof was just shot and needed replaced anyhow). Anyhow, the nice thing about it is it's once and done - no need to treat and retreat.

Posts: 4390 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
They did say the zinc strips were something that could be retrofitted onto an existing roof

Yep, we had one put on our roof here prior to closing (the inspector recommended it). The roof still looks good, no growth.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18329 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
We had the zinc strips installed in the WI house when it needed re-roofing ten years ago. They work quite well.

But that doesn't help you with siding, concrete, bricks, or wooden decks.

We had some concrete on the north side of the house (front porch and garage apron). I couldn't even get the moss off of the front porch with a power washer. It was an electric model, which might not be as powerful as a gas unit, but still....

Costco still sells Wet&Forget. Might check out the reviews.

https://www.costco.com/wet-%25...oduct.100338171.html

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Interesting.

Can happy homeowner install a zinc strip somehow?

Cost?

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post