well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    So now what? Mr Jodi has a fever.
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So now what? Mr Jodi has a fever.
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted
Background: He traveled on airplanes from Bozeman to Houston to Seattle (and spent 3 days in Kirkland and one day in Seattle) to Bozeman then drove to Dillon last week. (Was in Seattle until Tuesday night)

He said he felt hot last night, we took his temp this morning, it was 98.6 But he is on a pretty high dose of meloxicam for another issue (a NSAID, and they reduce fevers). He came home from work feeling bad, and we took his temp and it was 100.8 (and I am assuming it would be higher if he were not on the NSAID). He is coughing (but is having allergy drainage troubles) There is flu going around here (he had a flu shot, but that does not mean he won’t get it). And it could just be some other virus he picked up on all the flights.

But to find out what we should do, I called the local hospital and was forwarded to a nurse in the E.R. Was told there were no Coronavirus tests to be had. Was told his fever was not high enough (even though I told her twice about the meloxicam) was told that Coronavirus was not as bad at the flu. Was told that really it was only bad if you were over 65. Was told that I could bring him in for a flu test if he got worse (you know, honestly I think they would want to KNOW the answer to this?!) but to make sure I come in and get a mask for him first if I want to bring him in. But that I really should call his primary care doctor. (He’s seen nurse practitioner once since we got here, so I guess I’ll try that person tomorrow if he is worse)

So now what. Do we both self quarantine for 14 days? Do I bail on the art show? I feel fine, right now, do I wait another 5 days to see if I get sick? (The time he got the flu I did not catch it from him).

I figured by this time that hospitals would *at least* have a set sheet of talking points to tell people when they call with questions, but honestly that is not what I felt I got from the nurse today, she seemed unsure how to answer some of my questions. Frowner

(One other thing - please don’t copy and share this anywhere)

--------------------------------
Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20398 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
You might want to call a city or county health department. Maybe they're better organized.

As for whether to go or not,..sometimes it helps to look at a decision from various perspectives.

Clearly mr jodi is sick, whether it's COVID-19 or something else. You might get it, but even if you're asymptomatic, you'd still be a potential vector for bringing it to the art show and giving it to others.

Regarding the art show...if you miss it, how will it affect your life?

A month from now...How will you feel about having missed it? A year from now? Ten years from now? What if you ended up being like the lawyer in Westchester who is patient zero in his community, affecting the lives of so many others?

I'm risk averse, so if it were me, I'd be cancelling and staying home.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37651 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Oh dear, I’m so sorry to hear this.
First, either cancel the art show, or put off deciding. Focus on Mr. Jodi right now.

Also, can you and he sort of quarantine in home?
Separate bedrooms, no shared bathrooms, towels etc.

Tomorrow, try calling around more to see if there’s a way to get him tested?

I’ll keep you both in my thoughts!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18288 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I forgot one more thing...

Comfort

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37651 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Hope Mr. Jodi is better already.

A friend and everyone in her office has the flu.
She works for the Health Department.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25656 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
And it may be the flu, several folks have it where he works.

Smiler Jodi

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
He can probably be tested for flu, right?

At least it would set your mind at ease....

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
They didn’t really want him at the E.R. I’m going to call the nurse practitioner he saw last year tomorrow.

I’m supposed to get my hair done tomorrow. I should probably cancel just in case. Hope she doesn’t charge me anyway.

Smiler Jodi

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
You might want to call a city or county health department. Maybe they're better organized.

As for whether to go or not,..sometimes it helps to look at a decision from various perspectives.

Clearly mr jodi is sick, whether it's COVID-19 or something else. You might get it, but even if you're asymptomatic, you'd still be a potential vector for bringing it to the art show and giving it to others.

Regarding the art show...if you miss it, how will it affect your life?

A month from now...How will you feel about having missed it? A year from now? Ten years from now? What if you ended up being like the lawyer in Westchester who is patient zero in his community, affecting the lives of so many others?

I'm risk averse, so if it were me, I'd be cancelling and staying home.

I agree.

Posts: 24602 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I cancelled my dentist appointment for tomorrow.

I feel bad about the short notice but I did it anyway.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34795 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Oh, Jodi, this is so worrisome Really hope it is standard flu. Re the art show I am in a similar situation with a concert later in March. It’s already sold out but the virus changes everything. I may well cancel for peace of mind. Sending love to Mr. J.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13763 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
98% it's the standard flu, or some other simple virus. Without the Covid-19 test kit, however, you have to use the tests we have (flu) to rule out the issues for which we do not (yet) have enough test kits.

Posts: 12474 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
I hope Mr. Jodi feels better soon.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9785 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I wonder if they'd let you take the swab needed for the flu test, so he didn't need to go in to the ER or even the doctor's office.

How is he feeling today?

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Any possibility for the Gates Foundation test?

I hope he recovers quickly and this is off your heart and mind.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13509 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post