well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Adios, Netflix
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Adios, Netflix
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Of course Google (Chrome) doesn't make it easy for anyone. Not sure you want to go this route, but just in case you want to play around with the feature, here's an explanation of what it is and how to enable it.

https://techpp.com/2021/11/26/...view-chrome-android/

Meanwhile, to address your wish to read Mary Anna's review...turns out that the WaPo article is on msn.com, and that doesn't have a paywall... Evil

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...-heroism/ar-AA1bt95v

You can often find non-paywall versions of articles on sites like msn.com. Just do a search for the title of the article that is behind the paywall, and see if it pops up in the results from your regular search engine (Google, DuckDuckGo, etc). I often have to check the News tab for my browser (as opposed to All, Images, or Video) to see it.

Also, folks who post links to paywalled articles may also be able to "gift" a free link so anyone can read it. There's a limit to how many you can gift per month, but it's another option...

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37779 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Saw the first episode of "platonic" on Prime Video. Think I am going
to like it.
The first episode sets up the situation. The last bit made it worthwhile.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
I don't understand why anyone would think that Netflix should allow people who do not live in your house to watch their channel on your account at a different residence. Makes no sense to me.

Netflix encouraged it.

They're making good on the threat that Cindy originally posted about...

quote:
Netflix is about to kick your best friend off your account — unless you pay for them to share your account, that is. On Tuesday, Netflix revealed the details of how its crackdown on password sharing will affect viewers in the US and how much it will cost to keep extra people on your account.

https://www.theverge.com/2023/...us-pricing-streaming

Forget my best friend. What about people like me, who spend time in two different locations, and that time can greatly exceed one month? Are my options

return to my "home base" monthly just to log in?
buy a 2nd netflix account based on location alone?
quit netflix?

And it doesn't apply to me, but what about people whose family includes kids away at school, or military deployed overseas?

It's a really stupid idea. It's hard to believe that this is actually going to save them money.

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
The day after Netflix's no-sharing-of-passwords policy was announced to be in effect, I started getting emails from HBOMax. They've changed their name to Max and added some streaming services (HGTV some others). I'm guessing they are trolling former users like myself to sign up, hoping that they are also disgruntled Netflix customers who might be cancelling Netflix, and interested in signing up with a new service. I might actually re-subscribe for a month; I want to see White House Plumbers.

edit: And Hulu has a deal for $1.99 a month for up to three months if you sign up by the end of today (Saturday May 27).

https://www.hulu.com/start

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37779 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
And, we’re out.

I don’t expect I’ll miss it.

Posts: 19757 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don’t expect I’ll miss it.

The password things isn't an issue for us. But the lack of actual "movies" is.

It seems like all they have now are Netflix series and random reality shows.

You would think they would have tons of older movies, but more often than not, when I or Mr. SK looks for something, they don't have it.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18325 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Quirt, thanks!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18325 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Speaking of films, I have a strange (sic) urge to watch Kubrick's Barry Lyndon, all 3+ hours of it.

Now if I could find it. The usual problem.

Posts: 24646 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Do you have a Roku?

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
justwatch.com

Posts: 45725 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
Do you have a Roku?

Nope.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
justwatch.com

Thanks.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Yea, I looked on justwatch.com and a few other sites and they aren't showing anything you can watch for free. You can rent it for $2.99 from a bunch of streaming services like Prime.

I asked about Roku because there is a free movie channel called MovielandTV that only seems available via Roku, and Barry Lyndon is available there. Probably with commercials.

Daniel, do you have a library card? If yes, does your library have a streaming service called Kanopy? A lot of public libraries subscribe to it, and cardholders can watch a certain number of movies each month. My library allows ten. I looked, and Barry Lyndon is available for free on Kanopy.

If you're not sure about how to find out if you have access to Kanopy, if you PM me the name of your public library, I can look around on their website and see if it's available.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
wtg, thanks but I gave up my library card around the time internet cafes stopped being a thing.