well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Adios, Netflix
Page 1 2 3 4 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Adios, Netflix
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
There are different plans that allow multiple people to view concurrently, and you pay more for extra watchers. Netflix does have language about what constitutes a "household", and the extra viewers need to live in the same house. As I said above, I don't know if that's a new policy or an old one that they plan to start enforcing.

Everybody hates to lose something they had, or have to pay more for it, but I don't see it as a problem for Netflix to make this move.

It remains to be seen whether it's a bad business decision that loses them more revenue from subscribers who leave than what they gain by making the change.

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37873 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
You tube is a lot, something like $70 a month. That includes all major channels and dvr. I don’t do add Ons, like sports.

That plus internet is about $120, which is about $50 less than I was paying for cable many years ago.

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Cindy, how can I get the tennis channel? Assuming there is one. I would be entertained for hours and hours on end...

My other most wanted channel would be like the old Turner classic movies. 24 hrs of Golden Age Hollywood movies. If anyone knows of anything similar, please let me know...

Posts: 24710 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Daniel, do you have a subscription to HBOMax? They have on demand movies curated by TCM. And of course you have access to all the other HBO stuff.

https://www.hbomax.com/hub/classics-curated-by-tcm

And TCM is available via other streaming services like Hulu +, DirecTV, and Sling.

There's also a service called Kanopy. My library subscribes to the service, and as a library card holder I can sign up on Kanopy for free. I think you may be able to get access via a university, too, if you have a relationship with one.

Not sure if this article will be paywalled. A local reporter talks about my library signing up for Kanopy a few years ago.

https://www.chicagotribune.com...-20170509-story.html

They have a lot of classic movies with no commercials. I think a particular library/university can limit the number of movies you borrow a month. You might want to see if your library is a subscriber.

https://www.kanopy.com/en/

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37873 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
I don't understand why anyone would think that Netflix should allow people who do not live in your house to watch their channel on your account at a different residence. Makes no sense to me.

Netflix encouraged it.

They're making good on the threat that Cindy originally posted about...

quote:
Netflix is about to kick your best friend off your account — unless you pay for them to share your account, that is. On Tuesday, Netflix revealed the details of how its crackdown on password sharing will affect viewers in the US and how much it will cost to keep extra people on your account.

https://www.theverge.com/2023/...us-pricing-streaming

Bazootiehead-in-training

Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
I don't understand why anyone would think that Netflix should allow people who do not live in your house to watch their channel on your account at a different residence. Makes no sense to me.

Netflix encouraged it.

They're making good on the threat that Cindy originally posted about...

quote:
Netflix is about to kick your best friend off your account — unless you pay for them to share your account, that is. On Tuesday, Netflix revealed the details of how its crackdown on password sharing will affect viewers in the US and how much it will cost to keep extra people on your account.

https://www.theverge.com/2023/...us-pricing-streaming

They went through this in Canada several months ago. I don’t know anyone who ended up keeping Netflix afterwards. At some point something will pop up that we want to watch and we will subscribe for as long as it takes to watch it, but for now we are happy with Disney, Apple TV+, and Prime.

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4091 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Someday, we will look back on the golden age of streaming. I'm already looking back at the golden age of news on the internet, before everything was paywalled. There's so much I'd like to read but I'm not paying for a subscription to all of it.

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Going to boot Netflix at about 11 p.m. tonight.

Right after I watch the latest Hannah Gadsbey stand-up special.

Posts: 19763 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I second Cindy's sentiment about it becoming reality show central.

They did hoax documentaries of three "falsely convicted" when all involved were guilty as sin. It's a genre for them. I wouldn't doubt there are more examples.

Then we have Harry and Meghan. No comment.

They used to be so much better.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I have an Amazon Prime free trial now. I'm planning to use it soon and cancel it the next day.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
There's so much I'd like to read but I'm not paying for a subscription to all of it.

+1

Currently, I can't read the Sarasota paper, the "Tampa Bay" paper, the Miami paper, The New York Times, or The Washington Post.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
(continuing the thread drift)...

For anyone who is interested, it looks like WaPo has a deal for 99 cents a month for up to a year.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I just want to read MA's review. I don't want to spend $12. Can you lift it, wtg? Evil

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Well, it would only be 99 cents for a month (you don't have to subscribe for a year)...but have you tried using Reader View/Reader Mode in your browser? For whatever reason the paywall doesn't kick in.

What browser are you using, and is it on a PC or a phone? I can try to find instructions for what to try.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I don't know what those first things you mentioned are but I'm using Chrome on an Android phone.