well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    I joined a classical guitar study group

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I joined a classical guitar study group
 Login/Join

Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted
I have been wanting to expand my classical guitar repertoire for a while. One might say, my entire adult life. I decided to give a study group a try. This one is hosted by Dr. Simon Powis, founder of the Classical Guitar Corner Podcast, and online teaching course that is subscription based.

I have been hesitant to fork over the $340 or so per year to join his course mainly due to time commitments, etc. If used properly I feel it is a great deal given the cost of university level instruction lessons.

When he announced the formation of a free, study group on FaceBook, I decided to give it go. To experience, first hand, his teaching methods and effectiveness it might have on my progress.

The first study group piece is Lágrima (Tárrega). I purchased Simon's study guide for Lágrima about two year ago. I spent about 10 minutes with it and shelved it. I didn't have the time or the ability to read and execute it.

Last week I pulled it out and started learning it. I watched the initial live stream lesson after the fact so it was about 7 days from start to making this video.

It's not perfect, or any where close to it. However, it is what I submitted to the study group. We are asked to to do this with whatever segment or even simplified single voice version we are able to muster. Whatever level we are at as group members, does not matter. I feel, Simon will have good advice for all of us. From the very beginner to player way more advanced that I.

It's on my private web server, even though I submitted it to FaceBook, it is a closed group. I will relasee it to YouTube after I polish it up.

http://www.pcsincnet.com/Guita...udy_Group_Video1.mp4

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Very cool, mark!

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37871 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Bravo! ThumbsUp

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34916 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
That’s lovely, Mark.

We gonna hear it this summer?!? Hint hint... Wink

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the nice comments.

Still trying to nail down dates for a party. Need to firm up when and if Klaus and Bach are visiting the country.

Also have some logistics to work out around here.

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
ThumbsUp

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Good work and great playing.
Hope you keep it up and continue to post.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
English Translation of LÁGRIMA
: tear, teardrop

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
ooooh! that was lovely!!! Do keep us posted about how you like the FB group as you continue, and definitely share more videos!!!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18429 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Did you? How interesting.

You never cease to amaze me. Good luck. Smiler

Posts: 24709 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
Today was the final online session for the Lagrima study group. My latest video was viewed and Simon gave me some advice on right hand position that just took my playing to a new level. I wasn't even aware of what I was doing. I thought he would mention this missed note or that bad voicing, etc.

He also alerted me about some timing issues I was having at the end of phrases. I was simply slowing down too much, pausing to long. Again, I wasn't even aware that I was doing it.

Taking video of your performance where you can see the hand positions etc, is extremely enlightening on what could be a very simple adjustment that could make all the difference in the world.

With the help of an expert level teacher, that happened to me today. I think I will be subscribing to his on-line guitar academy.

All I want to do right now, is practice.

Here is what I submitted this morning, warts and all, with minutes to spare before the lesson started.

http://www.pcsincnet.com/Guita...VideoSubmission2.mp4

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
That's great, mark. Nothing like an effective teacher.

Good recording, too!

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Very, very nice!

And ditto what Jon said, finding a great teacher is such a gift!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18429 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post