well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Administration withdrawing federal support for testing sites

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Administration withdrawing federal support for testing sites
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
The federal government is ending its support for 13 drive-thru coronavirus testing sites on June 30, urging states to take over their operations — even as cases spike in several parts of the country.

The sites, which HHS says are spread across five states, are the remnants of a larger federal testing program established early in the pandemic. Seven sites are in Texas, which is experiencing record numbers of confirmed coronavirus cases and hospitalizations.

The background: In March, HHS and FEMA set up 4 testing sites in 12 states. During the height of the pandemic, in early April, HHS tried to offload control of the drive-thru sites to states. The department reversed course after governors objected.

Reaction: Scott Becker, CEO of the Association of Public Health Laboratories, says it's not the right time to shift responsibility for the sites — especially those near emerging hot spots in Texas — to states.

“The federally supported testing sites remain critically needed, and in some place like Houston and Harris County, TX and in other hotspots, are needed now more than ever,” Becker said in an email. “This is not the time for the federal government to walk back prior commitments on testing.”

Sen. John Cornyn (R-Texas) was also critical of the plan. "It's pretty clear to me, and I think it's clear to all of us, that with the uptick of cases, now is not the time to retreat from our vigilance in testing," he said. "I believe that they need to extend that federal support in Texas, at least until we get this most recent uptick in cases addressed."

https://www.politico.com/news/...virus-testing-338217

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37749 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Of all the things the federal government can be doing or deliberately choose to stop doing at this time, this is the thing they choose to stop doing.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12679 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
This is really horrible. This administration is motivated only by assholery.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18310 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Trump administration is reversing its decision to cut federal support for five drive-thru coronavirus testing sites in Texas this month after a formal request from Gov. Greg Abbott and criticism from Sens. John Cornyn and Ted Cruz.

Texas is grappling with rapidly expanding coronavirus outbreaks in several parts of the state. The number of people hospitalized with the virus and the percentage of positive test results are both climbing, signaling the severity of the situation.

“I thank our federal partners for extending these operations in Texas, and for their flexibility in allocating their resources to the communities of Dallas and Houston that are experiencing a high number of COVID-19 cases right now,” Abbott said in a statement.

But there's a catch: Federal coronavirus testing czar Brett Giroir said HHS will continue funding the Texas sites for two weeks past the previously announced June 30 cutoff. What happens after that point isn't clear.

“We will continue to closely monitor COVID-19 diagnoses and assess the need for further federal support of these sites as we approach the extension date,” Giroir said.

HHS spokesperson Mia Heck said Texas only requested an extension for five of the seven drive-thru testing sites that are still receiving federal support. The federal government is still set to end funding in late June for six sites spread across four other states: Colorado, Illinois, New Jersey and Pennsylvania.

https://www.politico.com/news/...testing-sites-341795

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37749 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Originally posted by wtg:

"The federal government is ending its support for 13 drive-thru coronavirus testing sites on June 30, urging states to take over their operations — even as cases spike in several parts of the country.

The sites, which HHS says are spread across five states, are the remnants of a larger federal testing program established early in the pandemic. Seven sites are in Texas, which is experiencing record numbers of confirmed coronavirus cases and hospitalizations.

The background: In March, HHS and FEMA set up 4 testing sites in 12 states. During the height of the pandemic, in early April, HHS tried to offload control of the drive-thru sites to states. The department reversed course after governors objected.

Reaction: Scott Becker, CEO of the Association of Public Health Laboratories, says it's not the right time to shift responsibility for the sites — especially those near emerging hot spots in Texas — to states.

“The federally supported testing sites remain critically needed, and in some place like Houston and Harris County, TX and in other hotspots, are needed now more than ever,” Becker said in an email. “This is not the time for the federal government to walk back prior commitments on testing.”

Sen. John Cornyn (R-Texas) was also critical of the plan. "It's pretty clear to me, and I think it's clear to all of us, that with the uptick of cases, now is not the time to retreat from our vigilance in testing," he said. "I believe that they need to extend that federal support in Texas, at least until we get this most recent uptick in cases addressed."

https://www.politico.com/news/...virus-testing-338217

"...our vigilance in testing..." Roll Eyes

Posts: 24637 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post