well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    America's Light Bulb Revolution
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

America's Light Bulb Revolution
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Illumination? Wink

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Axtremus:
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:

You can still get curly fluorescents but not many people want them. They tend to cost more than LEDs and don't last as long.
The fluorescents are more toxic too. I can throw a spent LED light bulb into regular trash, but have to bring fluorescents to a town designated collection point for proper disposal. Shrug

That's why I thought they'd been banned, I said. They're loaded with mercury. Around here only Home Depot recycles them (or used to).

--------------------------------
The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Ikea takes CFLs for recycling. I just took about seven years accumulation of dead bulbs there. Oddly, they no longer take batteries for recycling.

And Ikea only carries LED bulbs now. I recently bought some big honkin' ones there that are the equivalent of about a 150 watt incandescent.

I think I mentioned here before that I bought a bunch of SATCO LED bulbs on super-sale a while back and realized they had a ring-shaped diffuser inside. I pried off the outer bubble and removed the diffuser from the bulbs. Viola... about twice as much light!

Unfortunately I still have about two dozen brand new CFLs in a box in the basement that I got when the power company was giving them away to get people to switch out their incandescent bulbs. I still use them in several fixtures where the LEDs are too heavy.

One thing I liked about the CFLs was that, especially as they got old, they would come on dim and take a couple minutes to reach full brightness. This was great for the light in the bathroom. Switch them on first thing in the morning, and the lights wake up at about the same pace as I do.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Costco has six packs of dimmable 60 watt LEDs. You can choose from warm white (2700K) or daylight (5000K).

I think the regular price is something like $13. Com Ed, our local utility, occasionally offers a $10 rebate, which brings the price down to 50 cents a bulb.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37933 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post