well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    America's Light Bulb Revolution
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

America's Light Bulb Revolution
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Huge. But small. And natural. This is how emissions will be tackled.

--------------------------------
"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13549 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Having looked (unsuccessfully) in four stores recently for what this article calls "Curly compact fluorescent bulbs ", I thought this article was going to highlight this market change.

(The stores, supermarkets and Walmart all told me they hadn't been carrying them for some time.)

I thought given the cost of LEDs (haven't fallen enough to suit me) this was because the fluorescents are so environmentally unfriendly. (AFAIK only Home Depot recycles - perhaps, past tense - recycled them). And if they break, there's all that mercury in your house.

How bulb types have morphed is a worthy topic, but I'm still surprised that there appears to be no discussion of the problems with the "curly" fluorescents (and have or haven't they been discontinued as those store clerks told me?)

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda:
Having looked (unsuccessfully) in four stores recently for what this article calls "Curly compact fluorescent bulbs ", I thought this article was going to highlight this market change.

(The stores, supermarkets and Walmart all told me they hadn't been carrying them for some time.)

I thought given the cost of LEDs (haven't fallen enough to suit me) this was because the fluorescents are so environmentally unfriendly. (AFAIK only Home Depot recycles - perhaps, past tense - recycled them). And if they break, there's all that mercury in your house.

How bulb types have morphed is a worthy topic, but I'm still surprised that there appears to be no discussion of the problems with the "curly" fluorescents (and have or haven't they been discontinued as those store clerks told me?)

You can still get curly fluorescents but not many people want them. They tend to cost more than LEDs and don't last as long.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34927 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
And aren't quite as energy efficient. And the light's not quite as good.

But other than that ...

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
LEDs are fantastic! I think they're worth the switch over, even if you have to do it on a schedule. They're really good for can lights embedded in high ceilings, because replacing them is a gigantic pita. We swapped those out immediately.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Amazon is a good source for low-priced LEDs. I buy a lot of lamps there, especially oddball sizes and shapes.

Anaheim Public Utilities (They have their own electric company) has just come out with a program where they partially subsidize the cost of LED lamps you buy at a Dollar Store and/or Habitat for Humanity. I haven't yet checked to see how much cheaper they are.

Posts: 34927 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:

But other than that ...

And they don't fit in a lot of light fixtures.

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Wow! LEDs seem a lot more costly than curly flourescents last I checked (quite some time, admittedly).

One weird thing I noticed bulb shopping (of course I ended up getting LEDs), at Walmart four 75 watt (equivalent) LEDs cost $4 +/- while four 100 watt (equivalent) LED's cost well over $20.

Besides lumens, the "100 watts" were dimmable. I certainly don't care enough to pay five times as much.

(And yes, THOSE LEDs were economical).

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
quote:

But other than that ...

And they don't fit in a lot of light fixtures.

I just recently changed out some incandescents in ceiling cans for the best possible LEDs (at least, the best possible I could find, based on research, I think it was the GE Reveal line). They are MUCH more energy efficient. But even the warmest LEDs aren't as warm as incandescents, sadly.

It bothers me more at nighttime, when there's no outside light to soften the LEDs, but I put up with it.

As an aside, my true preference is for uplighting, but those cheapo black pole halogen uplights that I used for years are fire hazards.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just recently changed out some incandescents in ceiling cans for the best possible LEDs (at least, the best possible I could find, based on research, I think it was the GE Reveal line). They are MUCH more energy efficient. But even the warmest LEDs aren't as warm as incandescents, sadly.

What color temperature was listed on the GE reveal lamps you used?

quote:
As an aside, my true preference is for uplighting, but those cheapo black pole halogen uplights that I used for years are fire hazards.

Google "LED torchiere". The price has come way down on these. No fire hazard.

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Aside, I LOVE solar outdoor lighting - especially the "warm" colored ones (hard to find). Now THAT's energy efficiency and so cheerful at night, especially when the power goes!

On my paths they look like fairy lights.

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I love the LEDs but the one I put in my piano lamp sometimes bugs me. Either it's the bulb or the reflectivity of the paper, but my pencil markings seem to disappear. Maybe try another bulb.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13811 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

What color temperature was listed on the GE reveal lamps you used?

The warmest I could find. Mid to high 2000s, I think.

I’ve read that the problem is the tightness of the color spread. LEDs have a tight spread. Incandescent and natural light have a wider variation.

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
quote:

You can still get curly fluorescents but not many people want them. They tend to cost more than LEDs and don't last as long.
The fluorescents are more toxic too. I can throw a spent LED light bulb into regular trash, but have to bring fluorescents to a town designated collection point for proper disposal. Shrug

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12688 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post