well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Dilemmas, dilemmas - tonight's town halls

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dilemmas, dilemmas - tonight's town halls
 Login/Join

Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted
So I really want to watch the Trump one because I'm sure that whatever verbal diarrhea that comes out of his mouth will be entertaining beyond my wildest imagination.

But I don't want to contribute in any way to his TV ratings -- I feel like Biden getting more viewers would seriously get under Trump's skin.

What to do, what to do.....

Posts: 4389 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
How TV ratings work

--------------------------------
Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Who is the mushhead who decided to run them at the same time? If this is in lieu of the second debate, it does not serve to have them at the same time.

I guess the fancy people with their fancy DVRs can record one while watching the other.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30029 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Biden immediately scheduled his on ABC after Trump refused to participate in a virtual debate. That was a week ago, at least.

Yesterday, NBC announced they would host a town hall with I-1 at the same time.

https://www.npr.org/2020/10/14...p-with-bidens-on-abc

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37770 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Cheryl Gould, the former Vice President of NBC News, has publicly criticized the network for agreeing to host Republican President Donald Trump's town hall after Trump refused to attend a virtual debate against his Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden.

"I am dismayed—more like disgusted—by NBC's decision to air Trump's 'I won't play by the rules so let me make my own rules' town hall opposite Biden's," Gould wrote in a public Facebook post. "Is this what the new leadership at NBC thinks is the right thing to do? To be complicit in Trump's tantrum? A shameless grab for ratings!"

"I wouldn't be shocked if this were Fox News. But NBC? My former home?" Gould continued. "I've never been happier to say the word 'former.'"

https://www.newsweek.com/forme...mp-town-hall-1539272

quote:
“By agreeing to air his town hall as counterprogramming opposite Vice President Biden’s town hall on ABC, you are enabling the President’s bad behavior while undercutting the Presidential Debate Commission and doing a disservice to the American public,” the open letter said. “We believe this kind of indifference to the norms and rules of our democracy are what have brought our country to this perilous state.”

The Hollywood creatives are not arguing that Trump should not receive equal time on NBC after the network recently aired a Joe Biden town hall from the same Florida location.

“We are simply asking that NBC air the President’s town hall either before or after Vice President Biden’s so that American voters can have the opportunity to watch both,” they said in the letter.

UPDATE 9:30 AM: Shortly after the open letter was made public, Conde issued a statement defending the network’s decision and indicating that the Trump town hall won’t be moved.

https://deadline.com/2020/10/d...of-kenya-1234597879/

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37770 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Local NBC affiliate is running Trump’s event at 8 pm Pacific, after Biden’s 5 pm Pacific event.

In the “you can’t please everyone” department, some are complaining that Trump’s not live at 5 pm (8 pm Eastern), and others are complaining that running Biden at drive time and Trump at prime time isn’t fair to Biden. So everybody’s happy, and nobody’s happy.

Shrug

Not that it matters much here; it’s a blue state.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9787 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I won't watch either of them. No dilemma for me! Big Grin

Posts: 12503 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
I am crazy enough to watch both at the same time. I cannot get NBC on my TV antenna so am watching on my laptop with Biden is on my TV.

Trump seems a bit desperate..not sure if it is the large venue, but he is really all about him....lots of the same crap, and talking over the moderator.

As time goes by it is difficult to watch them both. Trump of course, but Biden just isn't as sharp.

Biden is trying to answer specifically and as they cut away he often turns to the voter and asked them if they got their question answered.

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted Hide Post
What made the Trump show bearable was the hilarious woman off his left shoulder who nodded at just about everything he said...All I could think was that she was a plant. ROTFLMAO

"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I haven't watched a Trump event in four years. I'm not starting now.

I didn't watch the Biden event either. It doesn't sound like I missed much.

Posts: 24645 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BeeLady:
What made the Trump show bearable was the hilarious woman off his left shoulder who nodded at just about everything he said...All I could think was that she was a plant. ROTFLMAO

She wanted to be noticed...or in his lap!!!

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post