well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    PBS' Frontline episode on COVID: "The Virus"

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PBS' Frontline episode on COVID: "The Virus"
 Login/Join

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted
I watched it last night and highly recommend it. I was riveted. They mainly focus on countries who were hit hardest by COVID (so nothing about NZ, for example), and document how the virus entered the country and the various responses to it. The USA is perhaps the last 20 minutes of a 90 minute documentary.

There is a brief interview (with video of a Skype session) of a woman whose mother was in ICU on a ventilator, and the heart-wrenching impossibility of being able to go and visit her in her hospital bed. It's awful.

I think, at the risk of being morbid, that these types of videos should be more frequently shown--the ones that show what the COVID outbreak really looks like in a hospital, for a family, etc. Maybe this has happened, as I admittedly don't watch much TV news. But the whole thing feels very whitewashed to me, much like not showing the bodies returning from Afghanistan.

Posts: 35367 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Nina. I recorded it and will watch it soon.

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Watched this over the weekend. It provides a very good overview of how the crisis developed and its impact on people who get sick, their families, and the health care workers who care for them. I would definitely recommend it.

It's available online for now if you'd like to watch it.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/the-virus/

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37794 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post