well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    This Is Your Brain on Junk Food
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

This Is Your Brain on Junk Food
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
That is a very interesting link between the processed food and diet industries.

--------------------------------
http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9799 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
I have a serious sugar addiction. (Which I have been fighting successfully since February 1st, and have lost 12 pounds so far). It’s hard, because if I have something with a lot of sugar in it, I just want more. We cook from scratch, and use almost no processed foods, and I have not been buying potato chips or crackers, though there is some ice cream for Steve in the freezer at the moment (and I’m not tempted, which is nice). I keep a lot of fresh fruit around and that’s what I eat now when I want something sweet.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20447 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
This is such a complicated issue. I agree, the link between processed food and diet industries is interesting and disturbing.

I'm dismayed at all the stuff that's out there about health and wellness. It tends to be very basic, or very focussed on a particular product (Our lunch shakes are all you need! Buy them now!).

I listened to Tom Colicchio last week. He discussed, among other things, the link between obesity, food cost and class. His quote: "Calories are cheap, nutrition is expensive."

Another interesting link to me is the quick chemical reaction that turns some things, like alcohol and processed carbs, so quickly into sugar in your body. At that point, your body doesn't care that it was a "good carb," or an organic craft beer. Sugar is sugar and calories are calories. It's such a scam to read of things like "organic ice cream that's actually good for you!"

Well, yeah, I guess it's better for you than others that are laced with preservatives and wax, but it's not good for you. The "health" industry is full of these ridiculous claims.

Now I'm off to see if we have some potato chips in the house....

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jodi:
I have a serious sugar addiction. (Which I have been fighting successfully since February 1st, and have lost 12 pounds so far). It’s hard, because if I have something with a lot of sugar in it, I just want more. We cook from scratch, and use almost no processed foods, and I have not been buying potato chips or crackers, though there is some ice cream for Steve in the freezer at the moment (and I’m not tempted, which is nice). I keep a lot of fresh fruit around and that’s what I eat now when I want something sweet.

Ice cream doesn't make me gain weight as much as cake or cookies. My theory: the fat slows down the sugar absorption.

Posts: 45738 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Pretty sure you are right about that. When you eat fat and protein and sugar together, I don’t think you get as big an insulin spike.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20447 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Quirt gets the award for Best Rationalization Justification for Eating Ice Cream!!!

Thank you soooooo much....

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37873 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Quirt is a hero

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I can offer independent confirmation that he has lost a lot of weight while continuing to eat ice cream. I think he's onto something.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15510 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I see that none of you have picked up on the real beauty part of Quirt's ice cream theory:

They assuage any guilt you might feel about eating the fancy high-fat varieties!

They're good for you!

Mary Anna Evans
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15510 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
I like sugar just fine, but I LOVE salty crunchy things. Cheetos.

Posts: 9799 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
My thing is Coca-Cola. Alas, AM, Cheetos and Coca-Cola have nothing to slow them down. It's like injecting sugar in your veins.

Apparently, I like feeling like I've had sugar injected in my veins.

Mary Anna Evans
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Anna:
My thing is Coca-Cola. Alas, AM, Cheetos and Coca-Cola have nothing to slow them down. It's like injecting sugar in your veins.

Apparently, I like feeling like I've had sugar injected in my veins.

My thing is Cheetos and prosecco. Arguably worse than Coca-Cola!

twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
Best book I have ever read on nutrition is The Obesity Code. Insulin is a big part of why we're having trouble with weight in this country - and why we're seeing more diabetes II and other adverse health conditions. Yes, sugar is a major contributor - but there's also a different response to types of sugar - glucose, fructose, sucrose - don't all affect our body the same.

While I learned a lot from the book, a couple of examples of things I learned. I was eating Cheerios as a snack - dry, thinking this was better than cookies. Not really. Cheerios have an incredible glycemic index. Might as well eat ice cream. ;-) Another thing is saturated fat which has been so vilified - much better for us that the processed fats we've used as substitutes. And one last tidbit - exercise has minimal impact for someone trying to lose weight - yet it is where most people put a lot of emphasis. It may have a 5-10% impact for most people. Most of the obesity in our country comes from the what we eat and when. And the old missive of calories in, calories out is nonsense.

Definitely worth a read.

Posts: 9597 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I was just getting ready to start Fung's book; I checked out the e-book version from my library about a week ago but hadn't gotten to it yet.

Glad to hear it's worth a read!

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37873 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post