well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Where do Jewish people come from?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where do Jewish people come from?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Where do the Jewish people come from? This is a question that anthopologists, historians and theologists have studied for millennia

https://theconversation.com/as...to-ancient-dna-97962

(for bonus points: The article missed one of the Four Matriarchs. Who is she? )

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37768 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
From outer space, of course. Haven't you heard of Jewish space lasers?

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21302 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
And here I thought it was Brooklyn...

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34836 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
On a more serious note, the Ashkenazim are a mix of ethnic eastern Europeans and Eurasians who adopted Judaism later in the game. This has been known in my family for a long time, so not sure why we had to wait for DNA to "discover" this. My paternal grandfather escaped the pogroms in Ukraine at the turn of the last century. His family spoke Yiddish and traced the family tree back to the Tatars, who were Mongols.

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
On a more serious note, the Ashkenazim are a mix... My paternal grandfather escaped the pogroms in Ukraine at the turn of the last century. His family spoke Yiddish and traced the family tree back to the Tatars, who were Mongols.

Similarly, my paternal grandmother's family escaped the pogroms in Poland (somewhere around Bialostok) at the turn of the last century, Yiddish speakers, but to the best of my knowledge, nobody traced their ancestry to the Tatars/Mongols.

OTOH Ukrainians themselves seem to be ethnically more Tatar.
However, the Jews in those adjacent countries (Poland, Belarus, Russia, Ukraine) migrated across the borders now and then, depending on safety and business,

My Grandmother forbid anyone to say she was Polish, insisting she was simply "Jewish". The borders changed all the time, she said. The Holocaust had much to do with such vehemence, I'm sure, because the Poles were so infamously anti-Semitic before, during and after WWII.

The Ukraine too was historically antiSemitic, but today it's lightened up far more compared to the rest of Eastern Europe. Both their president and prime minister are now Jewish (having a little trouble figuring out how their political system can incorporate both).

My sons have both subscribed to 23 and me, and I'm going to double check their ethnic "scores" in view of pique's comments. Since their father is Turkish, I'd have expected some Turkic DNA (i.e. Tatar/Mongol) if only because that's supposedly the primary ethnic base of Turks. I don't recall any such rating, though. For that matter, I haven't seen anyone with Ashkenazi roots "score" on 23 and me as anything but "Ashkenazi" - i.e., no "Tatar or Mongol". I wonder if 23 and me just "rounds up" to Ashkenazi for any European Jewry. (Pique, did you or anyone in your family by any chance subscribe to that ancestry service? If so, did you get any of those Asian ratings?)

Of course, modern Turks (all the more depending on what part of Turkey they're from), are something of a hodgepodge. The Crusades especially made for quite a motley throughout the Middle East. (Come to think of it, I wonder why so many Afghans have green eyes as did my ex.)

To digress, but it's funny, Genghiz Khan is reputedly THE most prolific father-ancestor in human history. On that account, one would think Mongol DNA would be more dominant.

Genghis Khan a Prolific Lover, DNA Data Implies

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda:
quote:
On a more serious note, the Ashkenazim are a mix... My paternal grandfather escaped the pogroms in Ukraine at the turn of the last century. His family spoke Yiddish and traced the family tree back to the Tatars, who were Mongols.

My paternal grandmother's family escaped the pogroms in Poland (somewhere around Bialostok) at the turn of the last century, Yiddish speakers, but to the best of my knowledge, nobody traced their ancestry to the Tatars/Mongols.

However, the Jews in those adjacent countries (Poland, Belarus, Russia, Ukraine) migrated across the borders now and then, depending on safety and business,

My Grandmother forbid anyone to say she was Polish, insisting she was simply "Jewish". The borders changed all the time, she said. The Holocaust had much to do with such vehemence, I'm sure, because the Poles were so infamously anti-Semitic before, during and after WWII.

My grandparents all also considered themselves Jews, not Ukrainians, Rumanians, or Hungarians, though those were the countries they emigrated from. (And no doubt the non-Jewish citizens of those countries agreed with them.) They all spoke Yiddish, not the languages of those countries. In fact my paternal grandfather forbade Russian, the language of the Cossacks, to be spoken in his house. (My father was fluent in Russian because of army intelligence training during WWII).

quote:
The Ukraine too was historically antiSemitic, but today it's lightened up far more compared to the rest of Eastern Europe. Both their president and prime minister are now both Jewish (having a little trouble figuring out how their political system can incorporate both).

I did not know this!

quote:
My sons have both subscribed to 23 and me, and I'm going to double check about their ethnicities in view of pique's comments. Since their father is Turkish, I'd have expected some Turkic DNA (i.e. Tatar/Mongol) if only because that's supposedly the primary ethnic base of Turks. I don't recall any such rating, though. For that matter, I haven't seen anyone with Ashkenazi roots "score" as anything but Ashkenazi - i.e., no "Tatar or Mongol". I wonder if 23 and me just "rounds up" to Ashkenazi for European Jewry. (Pique, did you or anyone in your family by any chance subscribe to that ancestry service? If so, did you get any of those Asian ratings?)

I have an unused 23andme box sitting in my desk. Mr. Pique bought one for each of us. I have refused to use it because I don't want to know about genetic abnormalities that I very likely am carrying (Tay Sachs and BRCA gene), and I don't want to risk them affecting my health insurance (he bought us these when you could still be denied coverage of preexisting conditions).

Now that I know that they trace your ethnic heritage, I'm not particularly interested in that. My Dad told me about my grandfather's tatar background when I was still a girl, in the early 1960s. I looked up the Tatars in our family's encyclopedia and they had a photo of a typical Tatar man in the book. He was the spitting image of my grandfather. Many of the photos I've seen of Tatar people look like they could be my relatives. When I was studying Russian in high school we got a subscription to a Russian magazine. The girl on the cover of the first issue looked so much like me, everyone in the class commented on it. I've often been told by Russian natives that I look like a typical Russian girl. Someone once said, "scratch the surface of a Russian and you find a Tatar." So I don't need 23andMe to confirm what I've already been told.

I think the main takeaway here is that the Ashkenazim are not ethnic Jews in the sense that Semitic Jews are. They are Eurasians who adopted Judaism for some reason, centuries ago. I gather at some point in history it was more desirable to be a Jew than it became later. And certainly hasn't been a good thing to be born into, from the perspective of persecution, for a very long time.

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
I wasn't doubting you had the ethnicity you were brought up identifying as both by family lore and visual "proof" - just curious about about how 23 and me works in terms of what ethnicities they name as groupings. (I do NOT think they break "Ashkenazi" down into any subgroups.)

Otherwise, I'd have heard friends with European Jewish background report something apart from simply "Ashkenazi" coming back on their 23 and me reports. Also, surely my sons would have gotten some percentage of Eurasian (Tatar/Mongol) at least from their Turkish father - but nada.

I remain ignorant about what 23 and me might have to say about other variants of Jewishness - i.e., Sephardic, Ethiopian, Karaite and such Eastern Semitic branches as Yemenite. I suspect all would be apt to yield only partial identities at best.

I have thought until recently that the big controversy about Jewish ethnicity was whether Jews stemmed from a genetic profile dating from the Middle East in whole or part, or whether Jews were actually primarily descended from the famous Khazar tribe who converted to Judaism en masse around the 6th century. (I think that tribal group originated in the Ukraine, and is considered Eurasian.)

https://yivoencyclopedia.org/article.aspx/Khazaria

quote:
The Khazar ruling elite, opting, in all likelihood, for a recognized monotheistic religion that would not entail subordination to the Arabian caliph or Byzantine emperor, converted to Judaism (of the Rabbinite, not Karaite form).

The dating of the conversion is not firmly established. Very likely this is because it was a complex process, beginning with the upper strata of Khazar society (the qaghan and his entourage) and later spreading to other but not all segments. This is typical of the process of conversion across Eurasia. Yehudah Halevi (1075–1141), in his Kuzari, written in distant Spain centuries after the fall of Khazaria but claiming information that came from the Khazars, placed the conversion around 740...

According to recent reading, that "myth" has been largely abandoned, having been used primarily to discredit Jews from the claim to a genetically based Biblical entitlement - one which would grant them an archeological-theological right to their"Holy Land". IOW to cut them off from any fact-based historical Zionism. I don't know how this might or might not relate to your discussion about the Tatar/Mongol origin of European Jewry.

I suspect there are admixtures.

What continues to leave me hanging (being way too ignorant about genetics), are contrasting differences between information carried by the X chromosome (supposedly demonstrating descent of nearly half of Ashkenazi Jews traceably from only four European female founders) while markers on the Y chromosome supposedly prove a distinct linkage to Middle Eastern groups.

quote:
Nearly Half Of Ashkenazi Jews Descended From Four 'Founding Mothers'
Date:
January 17, 2006
Source:
American Technion Society
Summary:
Some 3.5 million or 40 percent of Ashkenazi Jews are descended from just four “founding mothers” who lived in Europe 1,000 years ago. The mothers were part of a small group who founded the Ashkenazi Jewish community, which was established in Europe as a result of migration from the Near East.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/r.../01/060117083446.htm

Meanwhile
quote:
...recent genetic studies, based on Y chromosome polymorphic markers, clearly showed that Ashkenazim are more closely related to other Jewish and Middle Eastern groups than to their host populations in Europe.2, 3, 4 Those findings argue against large-scale male-mediated gene flow into the Ashkenazi community during the Diaspora. The male admixture proportion of Europeans in Ashkenazi Jews was estimated to be 0.5% per generation,3 indicating that Ashkenazim remained, to a large extent, genetically isolated throughout their history.

It sounds like an insular collective of male Jews married four European women (and their descendents), somehow leading to a combination ancestry of today's Ashkenazi Jews.

In other words, disproving the claims of a Khazar-dominated genealogy in favor of a male "Founder-effect"dating as far back as the first Millennia.

https://www.nature.com/articles/5201319

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
23 and me is really known for identifying ethnicities (from whatever small repertoire they have to work from - it seems to be VERY limited). And just FYI they do not give customers any information about genetic abnormalities or heritable typing - not unless they particularly pay a hefty surcharge and even so, I think the list is again very limited.

The only "score" I ever got in that regard was when I filled out an elaborate questionnaire along with a blood test, at John's Hopkins in conjunction with my breast cancer. I've been tempted for some time to have a test for APOE (the blood test that tells you whether you're predisposed to develop Alzheimer's) but I decided it wouldn't give me any useful information - not until there's some helpful medicine available to help me deal with a possible positive score.

I've also wanted to take a test indicating how my body handles various food categories (my son took such a rather fancy test, which confirmed what he already suspected - namely, that he's super sensitive to carbs. As am I, related to the cardiac problems alluded to below.. Also debating about taking a test that indicates how you respond to certain medicines. It's supposed to give you hints about which might help (or which might be a waste). I'm wishing such tests were far more fine-tuned than they are at present.

The genetic abnormalities tests are only useful prior to pregnancy, if one suspects one and/or one's mate might be carriers especially of a recessive trait. In that case it could save a couple from bearing a child with tragic genetic abnormalities (as you know all too well). It's become clear that my two brothers and I are carriers of several cardiac abnormalities (one brother already succumbed) and I myself appear to have a few other chromosomal abnormalities (e.g., Ehler-Dahlos. That that explains a lot, albeit too late to have helped me avoid a disability). Also, a serious eye condition which just emerged (Also, too late to help). Frowner

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda:
quote:

Likwise, my paternal grandmother's family escaped the pogroms in Poland (somewhere around Bialostok) at the turn of the last century, Yiddish speakers, but to the best of my knowledge, nobody traced their ancestry to the Tatars/Mongols.

My grandparents all also considered themselves Jews, not Ukrainians, Rumanians, or Hungarians, though those were the countries they emigrated from. (And no doubt the non-Jewish citizens of those countries agreed with them.) They all spoke Yiddish, not the languages of those countries. In fact my paternal grandfather forbade Russian, the language of the Cossacks, to be spoken in his house. (My father was fluent in Russian because of army intelligence training during WWII).

quote:
The Ukraine too was historically antiSemitic, but today it's lightened up far more compared to the rest of Eastern Europe. Their president and prime minister are now both Jewish (having a little trouble figuring out how their political system can incorporate both).

I did not know this!

quote:
My sons have both subscribed to 23 and me, and I'm going to double check their ethnicities in view of pique's comments. Since their father is Turkish, I'd have expected some Turkic DNA (i.e. Tatar/Mongol) if only because that's supposedly the primary ethnic base of Turks. I don't recall any such rating, though. For that matter, I haven't seen anyone with Ashkenazi roots "score" as anything but Ashkenazi - i.e., no "Tatar or Mongol". I wonder if 23 and me just "rounds up" to Ashkenazi for European Jewry. (Pique, did you or anyone in your family by any chance subscribe to that ancestry service? If so, did you get any of those Asian ratings?)

I have an unused 23andme box sitting in my desk. Mr. Pique bought one for each of us. I have refused to use it because I don't want to know about genetic abnormalities that I very likely am carrying (Tay Sachs and BRCA gene), and I don't want to risk them affecting my health insurance (he bought us these when you could still be denied coverage of preexisting conditions).

Now that I know that they trace your ethnic heritage, I'm not particularly interested in that. My Dad told me about my grandfather's tatar background when I was still a girl, in the early 1960s. I looked up the Tatars in our family's encyclopedia and they had a photo of a typical Tatar man in the book. He was the spitting image of my grandfather. Many of the photos I've seen of Tatar people look like they could be my relatives. When I was studying Russian in high school we got a subscription to a Russian magazine. The girl on the cover of the first issue looked so much like me, everyone in the class commented on it. I've often been told by Russian natives that I look like a typical Russian girl. Someone once said, "scratch the surface of a Russian and you find a Tatar." So I don't need 23andMe to confirm what I've already been told.

I think the main takeaway here is that the Ashkenazim are not ethnic Jews in the sense that Semitic Jews are. They are Eurasians who adopted Judaism for some reason, centuries ago. I gather at some point in history it was more desirable to be a Jew than it became later. And certainly hasn't been a good thing to be born into, from the perspective of persecution, for a very long time.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:

ROTFLMAO
me too

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25677 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Very interesting information, Amanda! I was unaware of the whole debate about the khazars. And thanks for clarifying what 23 and me does. I also was unaware of that.

It had been suggested to me (by a gynecological oncologist) that I at least get the BRCA gene testing, but since I would not do a prophylactic mastectomy, I don't see the point. My parents wanted me to get tested for Tay Sachs when I got married, but since I married a goyim, I didn't see the point of that, either. Razzer

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:

ROTFLMAO
me too

You'd be amazed how many Israelis think so too - at least when I first went there the summer of my 19th year!

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I thought it was going to be something clever like “sugar, spice, and everything nice” or “snips, snails, and puppy dog tails”.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
I thought it was going to be something clever like “sugar, spice, and everything nice” or “snips, snails, and puppy dog tails”.

Maybe “Bagels and lox and everything that rocks”.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Or “Latkes and knish and some nasty tasting fish”. lol