well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    I got my appointment!
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I got my appointment!
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
She tested positive for antibodies.

That's very interesting to me.

I've read articles about India and their relatively low rates of infection, along with statistics from Africa. The theory is that a lot of them got Covid and never felt much worse than they do normally.

Much more research to be done.

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34826 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
A while back there was a study that said about 20 percent of cases are asymptomatic. Gotta wonder how many more have only very mild symptoms, like my friend did.

Maybe a lot more of the population has had it than we know. I wonder if they plan to ramp up antibody testing as a routine part of bloodwork. My friend asked her doctor for the test, not sure if it would have been done even if she didn’t ask.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37744 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
Great. I’m still trying with two hospitals and Walmart.

J

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17669 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Jon is getting the vaccine that I skipped.

You're welcome!! Neener

Posts: 19756 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
I just booked mine for tomorrow, and its a 5 minute drive. I must have lucked out with the timing because the spots fill up very quickly each week.

j

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17669 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
My wife got her first shot this morning, I'm scheduled to get mine next Tuesday. Our son who works at a supermarket got his earlier in the week. The store pharmacy is a vaccination site and they pulled him off the floor when someone didn't come for their scheduled shot, since he is classified as an essential worker.

My youngest son had COVID back in November and my older daughter tested positive for antibodies when she donated at the blood band, so bit by bit more members of my family are getting more protection.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7373 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Mr wtg and I just got back from getting our first shots (Pfizer). I was thrilled about the Pfizer part; from what I've heard the second shot side effects are less than with Moderna.

I got an email at noon yesterday from Cook County (we had registered to be notified) that said that a tranche of appointments would become available at 3 pm. I managed to snag one for myself and a few minutes later managed to get one for hubby. Mine was for 2:10 and his for 2:20; I have no idea how I lucked out because trying to book the appointment was a like playing a video game. Appointments would appear and disappear in nanoseconds.

The mass vaccination site we signed up for is at a community college very close to where I grew up and maybe half an hour from where we live. It was staffed entirely by folks from the military and FEMA; I think I saw all branches represented except Space Force. It took more time to walk into and through the large building than it did to get through the various processing stations. We both had our shots in less than 10 minutes. We've scheduled our second doses for three weeks out.

A couple of minutes after I got the shot, I got ever so slightly light-headed. It lasted maybe 10 or 15 minutes and I'm fine now. Mr wtg had no reaction.

I asked about using an ice pack if the arm gets sore. There was someone with MED on their uniform, and she was sitting behind the vaccination station I was at. She said it's best not to use cold or heat, and to avoid anti-inflammatory meds after vaccination.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37744 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I was told that the best way to deal with arm pain is to exercise the arm.

It seemed to work.

Posts: 34826 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
I had my first shot this week. Arm was sore for a day. No biggie. There were no lines. They held it at the fairgrounds and had a huge army of volunteers. You drive into a farm building, roll down your window, get vaccinated, then drive straight through to a parking area and stay there for 15 minutes to be certain you aren't going to have a reaction. Everything was extremely well organized. They even had dog treats for the pooch.

I missed the email notice from the county because it went to spam! I thought i was too late to sign up by the time I saw the notice, but amazingly there were plenty of appointments available, even though it was a couple of days after they opened the portal. I'm afraid this means a lot of people who are eligible aren't signing up. Frowner

I get my second shot in mid-March (Pfizer) and then I am getting a haircut! Mr pique is already fully vaccinated. Looking forward to celebrating our 25th anniversary in March with a road trip! Woot

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21302 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I have my second appointment set for March 3! happydance

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Now the question is, how long does the semi-immunity last?

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25668 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
My mom got her first shot, Pfizer, on Saturday. It was at a drive through vax clinic at the airport. Appt was for 3 pm, brother (lives with her) drove and they arrived about 10 til, and after going through the drive through line she got her shot about 4 pm. They also made an appointment for her for her second shot; it doesn’t sound like they asked her for a time preference (although she doesn’t question things like I do). So my sister will take her to that one; I’m working that day.

Halfway there!

Mr. AM and I don’t qualify for one until it’s open to the general public.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9785 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking best case for me will be May unless our governator changes the rules. I do think they are overlooking people who have chronic (but managed) health care issues.

In our state, the only health issues that push someone into the first wave are ones that require in-home or residential care. There are a lot of other conditions that make someone especially vulnerable (asthma and COPD, for example) that don't require residential or in-home care. I do wish they would address those.

Right now, the criteria for the first wave are pretty much age-related, health care workers, and educators. Maybe prison population, I'm not sure about that one.

Posts: 35366 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
There are a lot of other conditions that make someone especially vulnerable (asthma and COPD, for example) that don't require residential or in-home care. I do wish they would address those.

those are included in our current wave. plus if you are in a minority population, and over 16, you are in the current cohort.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21302 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
Now the question is, how long does the semi-immunity last?

Gee thanks for that.

Getting my first shot Wednesday (Moderna) ...

Posts: 45723 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post