well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    RIP Jack Bogle

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RIP Jack Bogle
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Jack Bogle, the founder of Vanguard who created the first index mutual fund for individual investors in 1975, died Wednesday at the age of 89, the company said.

Bogle started a revolution in the way people invest. He believed that investors should own a mix of bonds and stocks but shouldn't pay investment managers to pick them.

https://www.npr.org/2019/01/16...investing-dies-at-89

From the WSJ obit:

quote:
Despite Mr. Bogle’s age and lengthy career, he had chronic coronary failure and suffered at least seven heart attacks—the first at age 31. He endured a malfunctioning pacemaker before finally receiving a heart transplant in 1996.

“I didn’t think about [dying],” he told an interviewer in 2007. “I just got on with what needed to be done.”

https://www.wsj.com/articles/j...oup-dies-11547677745

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37922 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
A life well lived, says this Boglehead. RIP, Jack.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
My respect to Mr. Jack Bogle, and condolences for his loved ones.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12691 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Jack Bogle may very well have done more for the members of the middle class in this country than anyone since FDR and William Douglas. And most people won't realize it.

Posts: 45742 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Bogleheads talk about Bogle.

https://www.barrons.com/amp/ar...ck-bogle-51547687638

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37922 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
Jack Bogle may very well have done more for the members of the middle class in this country than anyone since FDR and William Douglas. And most people won't realize it.

A "stealth philanthropist" someone called him.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
He eschewed maximizing his personal wealth in favor of doing good for the rest of us.

Thanks, Jack.

Last night I learned that Vanguard was the name of Nelson's lead ship in the Battle of the Nile, and the Vanguard logo is an image of The Vanguard. Bogle was a keen on British naval history.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post