well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Live Performances?

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Live Performances?
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted
So as we venture out and then maybe pull pack..

Have you attended or plan to attend a live performance?

I have attended my small reperatory theater twice with some annoyance..They told us of less attendence but that meant emptying the balcony and moving all to the orchestra. WTF .I am miffed.

But I am venturing out and would not miss this performance for the world with one of my best friends..We attended together some years ago and it was magical...The whole venue, little kids to grandparents sang together. Yes

We are seeing him, Jorge Drexler, again in Boston in November...I cannot wait.. happydance

What about you?

--------------------------------
"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
We saw the musical SIX in Chicago earlier this month. Masked, for sure! Did a lot of indoor dining, too, not masked.

We’ve seen Loudon Wainwright, and the Wailin’ Jennys. Masked for those, too.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9799 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
I've sung with two different choirs this year. Both sang unmasked this spring and had a vaccine requirement for performers and audience.

The suburban one practiced mostly unmasked the last couple of months in the spring. A bunch came up positive after the performances - but I believe most were board members too and had been meeting in smaller spaces. I didn't mingle much before or after...

The city one requried N95 or N94 type masks during practice except for the dress rehearsal. We all had to test one hour prior to the dress and before both performances. As far as I know, there weren't any positives from contact with other singers.

We have attended one theater performance - an afternoon show that had very few in the audience. It was rescheduled from the previous week where cast members tested positive and they had to cancel the afternoon show.

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7554 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I’ve attended several performances, always masked. Here in NYC that has been the norm until very recently.

I have been playing piano at a church recently as their regular person is out sick (rather serious, but not Covid). Mask off, but it’s a big space.

I use a KN 95, but I’m getting annoyed with it because it inhibits breathing. But they say the paper masks are ineffective against these new variants.

I eat at restaurants with outdoor seating, many offer it.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13811 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Was at Carnegie once in March. Everyone masked and I think they checked vaccine status. Also I was in a box so far more space than floor seating.

Maybe a month ago I was in a small jazz venue. Only 100 people or so but more densely packed.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AdagioM:
We saw the musical SIX in Chicago earlier this month. Masked, for sure! Did a lot of indoor dining, too, not masked.

Oh, I'm jealous. I want to see SIX.

We have made it to the movies once so far, masked.

We went to Costco a couple of nights ago. We were the only people masked. Out of hundreds of people. It's disappointing and horrifying all at once.

Posts: 45737 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
I'm not comfortable going to crowded venues, still.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21338 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
We've gone to the symphony and two other concerts (Wailin' Jennies and Ben Folds). I wore my best mask - KN95. For Wailin' Jennies masks were required, and they may have also been checking vaccine status. For Ben Folds, whatever. No checks. Most people at Ben Folks appeared to be maskless to me, though I didn't do a full-on inventory. The symphony started the year with masks/vaccine card checks and ended with just masks, IIRC.

Still haven't gotten COVID (knock on wood).

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
quote:
Originally posted by AdagioM:

Oh, I'm jealous. I want to see SIX.

We have made it to the movies once so far, masked.

We went to Costco a couple of nights ago. We were the only people masked. Out of hundreds of people. It's disappointing and horrifying all at once.

SIX was good! We actually have tickets to see it in NYC in September; we had those tickets first. I won’t mind seeing it twice, and seeing how the two productions compare.

Tonight we went to an outdoor concert in downtown Portland. It was Old Crow Medicine Show, and they kicked ass. So much energy and joy on that stage. It was great. Mr. AM and I were some of the very few people wearing masks. We were standing in the crowd at the very front.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9799 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
I'm not comfortable going to crowded venues, still.

+1

Posts: 24710 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Qaanaaq-Liaaq
posted Hide Post
I’ve been to only one live performance since pre-Covid-19 days. It was the opera “Florencia en el Amazonas” shown last fall 2021 at the Chicago Lyric Opera. The opera house was packed. Everyone was required to show a vaccination card plus wear a mask.

The opera was sung in Spanish. It was a nice break from all the operas that are sung in Italian, French, and German. I know Spanish but I’m not fluent. I was able to understand some of the lyrics by listening and the rest by reading the English supertitles on the electronic display board mounted above the stage.

Posts: 1411 | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
We have been to a few performances. Next week we are going to see Jon Anderson with the Paul Green Rock Academy which is a group of young people that are going to be playing a lot of old YES music including the entire Close To The Edge album.

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post