well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Allan Lichtman has Spoken!

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Allan Lichtman has Spoken!
 Login/Join

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted

Posts: 12537 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Can we just laugh at this?

quote:
But Professor Lichtman’s record goes much deeper. In 1980, he developed a presidential prediction model that retrospectively accounted for 120 years of U.S. election history.

And the whole idea of curve fitting some variables across a couple dozen elections and thinking you can predict the future?

But I sure hope he's right.

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I couldn't stop laughing (quietly) as he intoned -- with a cryptic smile -- about this or that factor as true or false. Each factor was itself not always a simple yes/no choice. Well, "primary challenger" is binary, but even things like "third party" are in the eye of the beholder. And the economy stuff and "major policy change" are totally squishy.

Posts: 12537 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
But I do think he's onto something. I do feel that many people do vote based on emotion, not logic. Ultimately, I think his 13 keys are a way of predicting people's emotional response to the current societal situation, and the role of the incumbent (if they exist) in creating that. I found it interesting from a behavioral standpoint, and it's certainly no less accurate than the polls in predicting the last few presidential elections.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post